Do NOT do any business with EZ SCUBA in Tampa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can I jump in and make a serious comment, I know hard to believe from me.

Eric, You are a brave brave soul to reply to this thread, I commend you for that. Thank you for taking time to stop by SB and at least acknowledge there was an issue and that you went the extra step to fix it.

msscuba, I think we would all like to hear from you on how Eric and EZ Scuba made things right. So please let us know. Thanks!

First off, it's too bad that anyone has a bad experience with a dive shop. This sport is supposed to be fun, and situations like this just suck the fun out of things. I have to agree, however, that EVERY certified OW diver should know how to do a buoyancy check and SHOULD do one every time they dive in a new environment, with new gear, etc. If a new OW diver doesn't know how to do this, then that is a failure of the instructor and the certifying agency, IMO. BUT, and this is a big but Simone, ultimately everyone who undertakes scuba is responsible for themselves. No matter what good or bad advice one is given, in the end, each person is responsible for making sure that they have exactly what they need and know exactly how to use it.

If the shop sold too much weight, I see no reason why they wouldn't gladly take the excess back as a return or exchange. It's not like lead weight has any working parts, etc.

As far as the reg goes, if my primary reg DIDN'T free flow at the surface, I'd be concerned, but in the same token, I can always stop it with a thumb over the mouthpiece or turning it upside down in the water. It sounds like this reg could not be stopped from free flowing. As has been mentioned, checking it before you leave the shop is critical. Yes, the shop should do the same, but I'll refer back to my previous big but Simone; ultimately, we are all responsible for ourselves and unless under the care and feeding of an instructor, should be taking all the steps necessary to make sure that we finish the dive alive. Blaming the shop for not checking in no way excuses the diver from not doing it themselves.

Hopefully, msscuba will be able to do what we all should do from situations like this and learn something new. Buoyancy check in every new environment and new gear config, check rental gear before you leave the shop, and the biggest....In the end, it's your life, depend on you first before anyone else to make sure you have the right training, gear, and buddies to end the dive alive.

And hopefully EZ Scuba will read this thread, and at the very least offer a refund for the excess weight and a free future rental. It's good customer service and will keep people coming back. Let's face it, times are tough and dive shops are hard hit these days, I can't imagine why any shop wouldn't want to make every customer a return customer.

Edit: Oops, a lot happened while I was writing this. Looks like EZ Scuba has been in contact with msscuba. I see no reason why Eric owes all the sniping members on SB anything. He said they were in contact, that the situation was resolved and encouraged any others to contact him for assistance in the future. If msscuba does not feel it was resolved to her satisfaction, I'm sure she'll share that. For some of the rest, they don't burn witches at the stake anymore either.

Last edited:
No offense, but as a business owner, I do not think you are looking at the oppotunity for good press or damage here. ScubaBoard is huge and has a tremendous ability to pass information. If you really cared about the situation, you would have taken the time to read this entire thread and address all of the issues on it so that you came out smelling rosy. You came on (by the way, this post was your inquest so do not think you did not get one) and simply brushed it off. As I said, it screams avoidance to me. A business owner who wanted the customer (and potential customer who read the post) to be happy, would address the issues.

Oh well. The beauty of it is that it is your business to run as you see fit. Not how we (the customer) want you to run it. Liewise, it is our choice whether to trust you or your employees or not. I am sure we will both end up happy.

Judgement before Inquest?
The customer is happy, what else would you like to know?

Eric, You are a brave brave soul to reply to this thread, I commend you for that. Thank you for taking time to stop by SB and at least acknowledge there was an issue and that you went the extra step to fix it.

msscuba, I think we would all like to hear from you on how Eric and EZ Scuba made things right. So please let us know. Thanks!

The problem with this statement is that at no point did Eric acknowledge that the customer was wronged in any way. He just said that the customer was now happy. I do agree that kudos are owed for him to come here but more damage than good can be done with a cavalier attitude. That is entirely up to him.

The reg had a free flow, there are several possibilities as to why that happened, the customer was not blamed for this. Free flows can happen for a number of reasons, Rachel and another diver took care of it. I believe Rachel stated that she was NOT told it was her fault, just reminded (as any new diver should be) that a quick check of all gear (rental or not) should be done bfore heading out to a dive. She was never held responsible for gear problems.
As far as the weight that she needs to dive, we covered what she would need when using everything from a skin to using a very thick wetsuit. She is a certified diver and is still learning what her needs are for different evirons and suits. If she was to use a thin wetsuit on no wetsuit, she would need to adjust her lead accordingly. I believe that is a fair expectation. But still, a review of what should be needed is always a practice when helping less experienced divers. It seems that something has been stated as fact when it is actually not. I did not tell her to use all of the weight when using a thin or no wetsuit. As far as how much weight would be needed, there is NO set formula that works for EVERYONE. It is better to be slighlty overweighted at the begining of a dive and then be able to maintain bouyancy as the tanks begins to shift from negative to positive. Also, as anyone who has dealt with new divers would know, there is natural tendancy to keep the lungs too inflated and therefore a need to use a bit more weight to account for that until the diver becomes more comfortable. That can take up to 20 dives, especially with new gear and new dive sites. As far as the maximum weight she needs to use-You would have to dive with her and evaluate her needs as each dive gets logged.

Lastly, the customer was never UNHAPPY. The original poster has created drama on a site that feeds on it just like any other forum. It's something to do while not diving, that's all. Rachel is a free spirit and not one to hold back if there is something needed to be taken care of. We have spents hours talking and she knows that I want to her to enjoy herself. I believe she never complained about anything. Maybe someone should ask her.

Again, I just want to make sure that if there is a problem, I try to take care of it.
Thanks again-EZ

After reading all this thread I have come to the conclusion a number of things were wrong.

1/ The instructor that gave msscubs her ow cert when she was not obviously ready. I think to blame a student/newbi is wrong, they don't know what they don't know.

2/ EZ scuba they screwed up with the reg, everyone screws up from time to time. However giving free instruction is not part of there job, good customer service yes. I have to ask was the store busy when this took place. If so sorry I don't have time right now

3/ EZ scuba came on the board and said they had taken care of the matter with msscuba, So they admitted they had done something wrong and fixed it. End of story.

4/ EZ scuba owes no one on the board an explanation, that is between them and the customer.

WOW, you guys a re quick, I tried to post a response in a timely manner and was left behind in the post count. heheh

Anyway, I can take the slings and arrows. I am serious when I say-Please call me if anyone needs help or advice. It is in ALL of our interests if you (plural) get your questions asked and answered. After all, that just means that you will go diving, that is a good thing, right?

Dude this thread is slow, try posting in some threads where if you have 10 posts per page you are always a page behind LOL :D

OK, one last time. Eric was aware that I am a new diver. Also I informed him of how much weight I had use in the past the equipment and where I have dived, told him I was going to use a dive skin only, not a wet suit. With the information I gave me he concluded that I would need a total of 30lb to do the dive on the 18th to Spanish Rocks. At the dive, I had two dive buddies. One of them notice the free flowing, he tried to correct and was unable to. The other buddy is a VERY experience instructor, was also unable to stop the free flow so she shut it off and I used the octo. I started the dive with 3100 psi. By the time the instructor worked on the reg and I got to the bottom of 15 feet I had only 2000psi left. Needless to say I was disappointed that I had to cut my dive short and so did my buddies. I did not want to impose them on the second schedule dive because of my troubles so I stood out on the second dive. When I brought the equipment back to the shop I explained to the employ the problems I had. He told me that it was MY responsibility to check the equipment before taking it. I agreed with him, but not having to check the equipment before myself, I did not recall that. My other dives were in my ow and disney where everything was prepared for me in advance.(that was a disadvantige). Again I was disappointed about what happened but not furious. I spoke to Eric twice today and told him exactly what I am posting here. He said that he would help me with anything that I need. PLEASE let this be the end of this topic. Lets plan more dives and have lots of fun. It is a lesson that I needed to learn. And sometimes I learn the hard way. See you all on the 24 m&g

Dude this thread is slow, try posting in some threads where if you have 10 posts per page you are always a page behind LOL :D

LetterBoy, I plead guilty to n0ob in the 1st degree...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom