Do instructors not like to sell BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My girlfriend and I just completed our OW certification and were considering our options on BC equipment. We both thought the BCD's we used during the course were too much equipment and looking for something simpler. I have a buddy who let us try on a BP/W that I liked very much and have come to the conclusion that I want to dive in that. My girlfriend wants the Transpac or the QPac by OMS. Either way both our choices seem unconventional when we tell our LDS what we want in equipment.

So i was wondering why both the Scuba Shops in my town don't want to sell us this equipment or want us to take a tech diving class to use this equipment. And if I buy elsewhere will I have trouble using a BP/W or any Winged BC like the transpac on dive trips with these particular instructors?

I just don't understand why these instructors want us in a jacket style BCD so bad.

No one can really say why another individual makes a recommendation. Why don't you ask them?

Many of my students also want to look like technical divers. My sons did the same thing, but one of them was thinking of getting an R6 as his first motorcycle; go figure... It seemed difficult for them to come to grips with starting off somewhere other than near the top. Perhaps that says something for today's society...

Some instructors still think of surface rescue. The fact that an inflated wing can float you face down is a concern for many. Wings are thought of as the newest iteration of the BC, but the AtPac and others existed before. They simply went out of business because they floated a diver in a face down position; something that breached the safety requirements of the times....

OTOH, I think BP/W could and should be introduced as an adventure dive (AOW) and a specialty, just the way Dry Suit is.

Really?? A rebreather I totally get how different it is and think a class ought to be required. Not sure about a whole class, but I think at least the first dive dry should be in a pool so you can try the feet first ascent. And the first OW dive ought to be in mellow in conditions and profile (Not sure about it needing to be a whole speciality though...)

Do you think diving a BP/W is really as different as wet vs dry? Should there also be a special class for something like the Zeagle Ranger or the Seaquest Balance?

Some instructors still think of surface rescue. The fact that an inflated wing can float you face down is a concern for many. Wings are thought of as the newest iteration of the BC, but the AtPac and others existed before. They simply went out of business because they floated a diver in a face down position; something that breached the safety requirements of the times....

That's not just ancient history.

There are few things that turn an emergency into a quiet tow back to the boat or shore faster than being able to come up behind a drowning negatively-buoyant diver and float them with their head a half-foot out of the water.

I like my BP for doubles, since they're just way to heavy for my SP Classic+, however for single tank recreational diving and teaching, there's nothing like having 75 lbs of position-neutral lift available at the press of a button.

Terry

Last edited:
That's not just ancient history.

There are few things that turn an emergency into a quiet tow back to the boat or shore than being able to come up behind a drowning negatively-buoyant diver and float them with their head a half-foot out of the water.

I like my BP for doubles, since they're just way to heavy for my SP Classic+, however for single tank recreational diving and teaching, there's nothing like having 75 lbs of position-neutral lift available at the press of a button.

Terry

A properly sized BP&W is just as capable of comfortably floating your example diver as any jacket BC.

Wings have power inflators too. Once the wing is inflated is it really that difficult to pull the diver onto their back and tow via the tank valve?

Tobin

Really?? A rebreather I totally get how different it is and think a class ought to be required.
A class? You mean ONE? Have you done any rebreather diving and if so could you enlighten us on your extense knowledge of this subject?
Not sure about a whole class, but I think at least the first dive dry should be in a pool so you can try the feet first ascent.
You appear to be based in the Evergreen State. Drysuit may be second nature to you but to a recreational diver who has done their first thirty or forty dives in a 3mm or a shorty it can be pretty nerveracking. Maybe you are a Drysuit Specialty Instructor, so you can fill me in on your own experiences?
And the first OW dive ought to be in mellow in conditions and profile (Not sure about it needing to be a whole speciality though...)
What are you referring to? BP/W?

Do you think diving a BP/W is really as different as wet vs dry?
I can see you are an apples and bananas guy. Here's a link for you:

Apples and Bananas Song lyrics from KIDiddles

There is no harm in giving recreational scuba divers as much information and training as within the scope of an Adventure Dive (no exam required, just a knowledge review with the Instructor) or a Specialty Course where different set ups could be looked at, different uses of BP/W could discussed, in fact extolling the merits of BP/W and in which applications it is a far superior arrangement than jacket.
Should there also be a special class for something like the Zeagle Ranger or the Seaquest Balance?
Until now, I hadn't thought that necessary. :shakehead:

A class? You mean ONE? Have you done any rebreather diving

Do you really think Bonaire was suggesting one class or part of class is all that's required for an RB?

His post wasn't well written, but the mention of feet first ascent should be a clue he was discussing drysuits not Rebreathers.

Tobin

Too many people have the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.

OK, good thread.

Let us maintain the civility, please.

the K

Soo.....

Buying a conventional BC is the equivalent of getting a "safe" Big Mac when In and Out Burgers are available for those willing to make the effort to find them?

The herd seldom finds the sweetest grass.

Tobin

You know, In and Out burgers are not available east of the Missisippi. So there are plenty of people who've never heard of them, and if they go somewhere where they were available, would probably go to McDonalds or Burger King and get something they know they like, vs take a chance on some unknown. The status quo is hard to change. There are plenty of superior products that for one reason or another was not accepted by the mass market and remain in a niche market. Look at the dvorak keyboard layout for instance. A clearly more efficient keyboard layout, it's never been accepted due to the hassle of conversion.

Back
Top Bottom