Do i need to bin my broken Hog 2nd stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The barrel engages the tabs and is aligned by the tabs.

Attachments

• IMG_0957.JPG
    IMG_0957.JPG
    221.9 KB · Views: 51
If I was fixing this I'd install the barell and fill the space to the left and right from the space where the tab was to the case wall with black sugru. Rub a bit of liquid dish soap on the metal of the barel to function as a mold release. Trim any excess sugru with an exacto knife.

Attachments

• IMG_0958.JPG
    IMG_0958.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 47
@Candiru

Thanks for the advice. The bits you pointed out is what I was talking about.

However on closer inspection, it actually seems ok. I compared the housing to the other 2 hog 2nd stages I have and it looks as if its a different style of housing (maybe an older version), I purchased these regs 2nd hand and they were pretty beat up.
I serviced it & put it back together & there is no movement of the barrel.

Another interesting thing is that the orifice hex opening is smaller than on my other to hog regs. Its the same in every other way except I cant fit the same allen key in this one.

Anyone know if the older hog regs has a different size orifice "slot". It is interchangeable with the other regs, I just have to use a smaller allen key to adjust it.

There was a batch that came from the OEM with an orifice that uses a smaller hex. The OEM did this without authorization. I have a replacement orifice or two on hand. There is nothing wrong, per se, with the ones that require the smaller hex. It's just that the inline tool will not work with them and you need to make the adjustment "old school style."
I would not use any type of adhesive or try to jury rig the tabs! If the barrel turns too far it could result in the lever not depressing and not delivering air to the diver. Cases are cheap.
What I have also seen is that someone gets in a hurry and doesn't make sure the barrel is fully seated before tightening the nut to secure it. This results in the barrel being able to turn or them breaking the tabs off.

Thanks @Jim Lapenta, im not to fussed about the orifice, I was just curious. I wonder if they also had different housings at one point.

If they're used, and older, another avenue might be to check the exhaust diaphragm "grille". The old style looked like a waffle, the new one looked like a cloverleaf. For a while at least, HOG was replacing the older ones free of charge. If your broken one is the old style, you might be in luck. Might be worth checking, contacting HOG, and/or waiting for someone who actually knows what they're talking about to comment.

Thanks for the replies, i will have a look at price on a housing, however this reg is surplus to my needs, I was initially planning on servicing it and selling it. I may just keep it for spare parts.

My explanation wasnt the best, ill try again. Its not the bit that holds the barrel in. The barrel fits snug, there is usually a little tab on either side of where the barrel inserts which holds the feet of the lever in. Without these tabs the leaver is able to move side to side a little (it can only usually move up and down).
I dont think there is any real danger, but would it affect the performance?
don't use that reg until you fix it

Back
Top Bottom