Do i need to bin my broken Hog 2nd stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theiszy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey,

I recently purchased some second hand Hog classic 2nd Stages (I will be doing the service course soon), one of them was in pretty bad condition.

I noticed that the flange, that is part of the housing is broken off. This is the part where the valve tube sits and the lever 'legs' insert in to the tube are held by the little plastic bits 'flange' that are part of the housing.
So the leaver had a bit of side ways movement.
I have servied and put it back together, and it seems ok & breaths well on land. But could this be a major issue?

Is this reg only good for spare parts?

Thanks

Its a little hard to visualize from your description. You might want to at least check the cost of a replacement housing. For some reason, I seem to remember seeing the listed price was not that bad. Depending on when/where you take the service class, you might even get them to order you the housing.

In my world, peace of mind can be priceless.

I would think if the poppet assembly were able to rotate that this would be bad.

You can order a replacement part from the manufacturer. I'm sure you're not the first one who put it together with a hammer :wink: j/k.

Anyway, it's life support equipment so if it were mine I wouldn't take any chances whatsoever.

R..

If I'm visualizing correctly you're talking about the tabs on the case that sit on either of the barrel when inserted? That being the case, pun unintended, it's not fatal. You'll just need to use the jam nut backed up against the hose to make sure the barrel is sitting straight. I years ago purchased a new case and from memory paid around $25. Contact HOG directly or Jim Lapenta here on SB he will be able to help and is a good man.

Thanks for the replies, i will have a look at price on a housing, however this reg is surplus to my needs, I was initially planning on servicing it and selling it. I may just keep it for spare parts.

My explanation wasnt the best, ill try again. Its not the bit that holds the barrel in. The barrel fits snug, there is usually a little tab on either side of where the barrel inserts which holds the feet of the lever in. Without these tabs the leaver is able to move side to side a little (it can only usually move up and down).
I dont think there is any real danger, but would it affect the performance?

If I were you I would contact hog and purchase a new case. Also Dive rite in scuba has the new reg for 80 or my favorite option would be to purchase a 2nd stage from deep6 for 76$ (use link on signature line) and get an annual kit free plus the first servicing is free if you mail it it in.

Not sure but it sounds like you`re talking about the tabs that limit the venturi adjustment. If so, it`s not critical, but is a ``nice to have``.

I took a picture of my hog. I'm pointing to the tabs you describe with a red tipped pointed. Is this the part that you broke?
IMG_0096.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom