Do I need insurance for AOWD dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Making a certification dive with an instructor should not pose a problem with regard to diving beyond your present certification.

When we were certified our instructor told us we were covered under his shop DAN policy during training/certification activities. Policies and coverage can vary I'm sure so take this for what it's worth.

When we got home certified signing on with DAN was job 1. If you have been diving as an OW diver without coverage you have been at risk. Get coverage ASAP, you can do it with DAN right online.

Do your LDS a favor and ask for their DAN code, you can give them some brownie points by entering their ID in the referral box.

There is no substitute for being directly covered by your own policy. If I were to do it again I would have it from the first breath of compressed air. Being a DAN member will give you immediate access to advice if and when needed so there are benefits other than dealing with calamaties.

Pete

spectrum:
When we were certified our instructor told us we were covered under his shop DAN policy during training/certification activities. Policies and coverage can vary I'm sure so take this for what it's worth.
Pete

Same thing when I got my OW, but I beleive that only covers non-certified students.

AFAIK, once you have a C-Card, you're on your own, so if you get injured on a dive for a specialty class, you'll need your own insurance or big fat wallet.

Personally, I wouldn't hit the water without insurance.

Terry

hmb:
Which insurance should cover costs of diving accidents during AOWD dives?
Should it be the diver's or instructor's (or dive shop)?
Apparently, during these AOWD dives the diver is going beyond he/she was trained to do in OWD certification.

TIA
The instructor's and diveshop insurance cover's their liability. It does not cover the divers. You should have insurance at all times. DAN's insurance is what I recommend. They have multiple levels. You don't need to buy their most expensive plan. The basic plan is just fine. But if you can afford the more expensive plans, give them consideration.

I have had DAN insurance since completing my OW dives but I have yet to hear a dive operator that requires insurance although maybe they should. Now every good dive operation I have dove with including here in Brasil has recommended it.

Thanks everybody for replies
So, I really need two insurances.
One - from DAN. Another - for diving in Cuba. (Blue Cross?).
Going to be over $100 per year total , though...

Insurance is so important IMO that I bought it before my OW class started.

I would say if you're American that there isn't any insurance on earth that will cover you doing anything, let alone diving in Cuba since it's prohibited to go there by Federal law.

If you're in the military that's another story, and you definitely wouldn't need to worry about getting Blue Cross in that case.

hmb:
Thanks everybody for replies
So, I really need two insurances.
One - from DAN. Another - for diving in Cuba. (Blue Cross?).
Going to be over $100 per year total , though...
Have you priced out a chopper evacuation and chamber ride lately?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom