Do I have to sell my VR3 to be fully DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlexMDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post to this section. I have turned DIR since last year, but I own a VR3 computer.
I know the DIR policy on computers....and I agree mostly. The VR3 though seems to get around most of the negative points listed by JJ in his funamentals book on computers...
So will my wearing it be frowned upon by fellow DIRs as long even though I have fully planned my deco procedures (and also have a bottom timer, which I do...I use my stinger).
Another question would be: Do you think with more advanced tech computers in the future will there one day again be a place for computers in DIR diving or not (assuming they can solve the reliability issues of computers in general) i.e. is it possible to design a computer that would satisfy DIR requirements?

Thanks for any advice.
Alex

don't sell it!!

give it to me

AlexMDiver:
Hi, this is my first post to this section. I have turned DIR since last year, but I own a VR3 computer.
I know the DIR policy on computers....and I agree mostly. The VR3 though seems to get around most of the negative points listed by JJ in his funamentals book on computers...
So will my wearing it be frowned upon by fellow DIRs as long even though I have fully planned my deco procedures (and also have a bottom timer, which I do...I use my stinger).
Another question would be: Do you think with more advanced tech computers in the future will there one day again be a place for computers in DIR diving or not (assuming they can solve the reliability issues of computers in general) i.e. is it possible to design a computer that would satisfy DIR requirements?

Thanks for any advice.
Alex
Alex,

Isn't the VR3 air integrated? That would negate the single SPG as well.

I know some DIRers toss a computer into their pocket so they can log the dives later, or use a wrist mounted computer in bottom timer mode, but an AI computer is not DIR.

Stick with the stinger.

AlexMDiver:
At least not until Halcyon markets one.

Rick Inman:
Alex,

Isn't the VR3 air integrated? That would negate the single SPG as well.

I know some DIRers toss a computer into their pocket so they can log the dives later, or use a wrist mounted computer in bottom timer mode, but an AI computer is not DIR.

Stick with the stinger.

VR3 is not AI.

Jason B:
VR3 is not AI.
RosannaDanna Voice, "Never mind."

this is a great quote i read (sorry for the hijack)

After each SNL show, Lorraine Newman would go off to do cocaine, Gilda
Radner binged and vomited, and Jane Curtin went home to her husband and dog.

if you've got an SPG there's really nothing horrible about an AI computer unless you let yourself become reliant on it...

if your VR3 crapped and you couldn't dive with just a bottom timer, then you've got an issue to fix...

otherwise, take a deep freaking breath and stop worrying about it...

when the time is right, you'll probably go to gauge mode / bottom timer...

i just set my vyper to gauge mode a week or two ago because i finally bent the snot out of it and it was time...

but, there are things you cannot do with a VR3... you are stuck with the model that it proscribes, and can't play around with adjustments to the basic deep stop model. and if you have on-the-fly adjustments to make in your deco due to issues like gas loss, you also have to be telling the computer what is happening -- which can require playing around with the computer UI during an emergency... for those kinds of reasons you're probably going to outgrow the VR3 eventually...

wedivebc:
At least not until Halcyon markets one.

man, that would be interesting... that would definetely be worth the popcorn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom