Do cave divers need wreck training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It appears that would a "no", but pretty impressive resume,nonetheless.
Which proves my point. It's easy to claim equivalency if you don't really have a clue what it means. After all that's said and done, there's a lot more "claimed" than done.

As BoulderJohn stated, that's not necessarily common - but for those into it, there's many places to go. The biggest mistake is to make crass assumptions based on what you don't know, or have never seen, and then proclaim those assumptions and look foolish.

I have ample respect for cave pioneers doing cutting edge, extreme deep or duration exploration... . but these pot-bellied, desk dwelling, weekender cavers who chug around in clear, wide passages that get more traffic than a mall escalator... shouldn't really get judgemental based on self-awarded delusions of grandeur.

^this

All Hail the great cave divers.... Every instructor is the best of the best... If you have a full cave card, You can do anything.. All most superman, but with a small "s"...

I just don't understand if you guys are so good and so careful and have the best training in the world .. WHY YOU GUYS STILL DYING IN CAVES ?

Jim....

All Hail the great cave divers...
Bitter, party of one! Get the training, pass the class and speak from experience, not ignorance.

Dive and let dive?
Why the need for mud slinging?

We aren't allowed to silt up a site underwater. (Scuba Police) What other choice do we have but to slug it out topside?

I do find it interesting those who are untrained or inexperienced in both diving disciplines having very strong opinions of what the training equivalency is when they only know one of the two disciplines.

Seems the same debate could be had between various technical diving agency training progressions themselves just as easily.

I just don't understand if you guys are so good and so careful and have the best training in the world .. WHY YOU GUYS STILL DYING IN CAVES ?
Actually, not that many trained ave divers do die in caves, but, yes, some still do.

The reason is that cave diving is very dangerous. You apparently missed that fact in the previous discussion. That's why they get all that extra training. That's why some still die despite that extra training.

I guess you don't get my humor... I've have heard the Cave diver ego way to often... They are like the "SKY GODS" of skydiving... And, Then the bad mouthing and each other and who's training is the best...

I've watch many a thread here on SB about the greatness of cavers and how they are able to dive "ANY" wreck with their cave card... I've heard tell that a cavern card is better then any wreck training... Like I said.. If you guys are so good, Why you getting killed in the caves... Maybe, Just maybe your egos are writing checks that your a$$ can't cash...

I have no need or want to get cave training... I've seen the crap divers that pass as instructors in all the agencies for a few dollars more... cave diver are also in that pile... Just because you have a "CARD" doesn't mean anything...

Jim...

I guess you don't get my humor.
It wasn't funny.

All this clamoring about our ego, yet you're unwilling to see why we believe what we do. That's just willful ignorance, and that's more likely to get you hurt or killed in a cave than overtraining. From my experience, cavers are more likely to seek out more training to do an unfamiliar dive than not. The people who die in caves and on wrecks are the ones who exceed their limits: physical, elemental and/or mental limits. I will have finished 49 years of diving this June. I've never been bent. I've never suffered a barotrauma. The only injuries have been minor and incidental. I've learned to respect my limits. I also know what I don't know and respect those limits as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom