DMC Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No worries mate -

The exact requirement (from the PADI instructor manual) is:
Wearing full scuba equipment, the candidate must push or tow an inert
diver in full scuba at the surface 100 metres/yards nonstop without
assistance.
Note that this is a swimming power evaluation (speed-against-drag)
not a rescue evaluation. If a candidate stops, the exercise is incomplete and must
be repeated.

So you can do it whichever way you like, basically. The PADI Rescue diver course suggests that the tank valve tow is the faster method, and for some people it is. For me personally, I go quicker pushing a diver in the modified swimmer's carry.

14 mins is an excellent time for the 800 metres and would score you 4 points (5 if you are under 14 mins) (note that the distances can be measured in either yards or metres and therefore the scoring is slightly different - 14 mins gets you a 4 if you're working in the imperial system)

for the float - technique, technique, technique - concentrate on the 2 minute "hands out" session. In my experience, pretty much everybody can do the first 13 - in fact I don't recall anybody not being able to do this... but the last 2 is where some people can really struggle. One you've mastered those last 2 minutes a 5 will be a cinch.

Cheers

C.

for the float - technique, technique, technique - concentrate on the 2 minute "hands out" session. In my experience, pretty much everybody can do the first 13 - in fact I don't recall anybody not being able to do this... but the last 2 is where some people can really struggle. One you've mastered those last 2 minutes a 5 will be a cinch.

Cheers

C.

What is the definition for 'hands out'. What would you recommend. Obviously arms way up in the air is 'hands out' but a lot harder than wrists just above water surface.

Hands out of the water....hands....not arms...or wrists....but hands....so try to keep the water level at your wrists.

Crowley -

Have you ever seen a DMC use any other successful method for the tread? I'm going to use the float but I was just curious if you've seen another method successful. It seems that you would have to be a very powerful swimmer to really just kick for two minutes straight.

In addition, our instructor gave us weight to hold on to....I found it nearly impossible for more than 15 to 20 seconds with 10 lbs of weight.

yeah - one method I mentioned above - you float with a big lungful of air, then kick like mad when you have to refresh it. It's either that or kicking really - and you don't have to be a powerful swimmer, you just need to do it correctly. It's not that hard with practice.

If you are taking a PADI DM course and your instructor is making you hold weights then he thinks he is being clever and is having you do something that is above and beyond what is required of you. This is in itself a technical violation of standards.

Cheers

C.

Tread is where I'll die.......I sink. I'll try some of the suggestions. maged mmh had a good suggestion too.

Thanks a bunch!

I also sink like a rock in a pool so I convinced my instructor to do the thread in the ocean which was much easier for me. I know you're in AZ, but a lake maybe easier than a pool. It's worth a shot.

I also sink like a rock in a pool so I convinced my instructor to do the thread in the ocean which was much easier for me. I know you're in AZ, but a lake maybe easier than a pool. It's worth a shot.
That's the downfall with AZ......no ocean.

I'm not sure it would be any easier in the lake, one of the problems with the pool is it's small and there are 5 DMC and an instructor in the water, for us that can't float anyway it makes it worse when pool gets so rough, if we had a fan we could make white caps, the first time water gets up the nose it breaks the concentration.

But oh well.......practice, practice, practice. I'll get it.

Thanks for the suggestions!

yeah - one method I mentioned above - you float with a big lungful of air, then kick like mad when you have to refresh it. It's either that or kicking really - and you don't have to be a powerful swimmer, you just need to do it correctly. It's not that hard with practice.

If you are taking a PADI DM course and your instructor is making you hold weights then he thinks he is being clever and is having you do something that is above and beyond what is required of you. This is in itself a technical violation of standards.

Cheers

C.
Well, the first pool session he threw weights and weight belts at us for the thread. He was trying to emphasize team work, he wanted other DMC to come to the aid of the one that was having the most trouble, when nobody offered help he suggested it, then he had us pass the weights to someone that we thought wasn't having as much trouble, I understood what he was attempting to accomplish. I have to say I stunk at this first excersise and had to grab the side of the pool a couple of times...I was winded.

I'm leaning towards thinking he won't give us weights to hold on to in the test but I'm not sure, he likes to keep us on our toes. I have practiced in my pool holding onto just a couple pounds just in case. If he doesn't give us weights then practicing with weights will just make me better I hope. He may be just having us shoot above the standard for practice to ensure we can meet the standard during test, I understand that approach from my military days long ago.

Thanks for the advice, it's been great...I'm trying everything!

Remember that you don't necessarily have to do the last two minutes with hands out of water - unless, of course you need the full 5 points to get the minimum cumulative points of all water stamina tests above 12 by doing so -- there is no "passing score" for any single event, but a combined score of 12 or more is required and you have to complete all of them prior to certification.

This is from the Instructor Manual:
"Using no aids and wearing only a swimsuit, the candidate will stay
afloat by treading water, drown proofing, bobbing or floating for 15
minutes, with hands (not arms) out of the water during the last 2 minutes.
A candidate with a physical challenge that makes it difficult/impossible
to hold hands out of the water is exempted from that portion
of the exercise with no effect on the score."
Criteria Points
Performed satisfactorily -- 5
Stayed afloat, but hands not out of water entire 2 minutes -- 3
Used side/bottom for momentary support no more than twice -- 1
Used side/bottom for support more than twice -- incomplete

For the last two minutes, I just laid back and held a full breath for probably 30 sec at a time, then exhaled / kicked to keep hands up while pulling in another deep breath, then went back to floating with held breath while staying as still as possible to conserve energy/oxygen - two minutes went by fast and wasn't a problem. I am a sinker too, just have to figure out how to make it work.

I definitely agree with Crowley that having you guys pass weights and such around is not within the standards in the instructor guide for the course, however it seems kinda fun to me :D

James R,

Thanks!

Sounds like your approach is the prevailing advice. 30 seconds float, kick like hell, repeat :)

Like you said, just gotta make it work! We have the 800 yard snorkle next week so I know I have at least two weeks to practice floating...should be able to get it. I just don't want to pass with the minimum since our instructor stated that final decretion is his whether to certify. If I can get a 20 I have a much better chance.

Now the physics is another story, for me it's a hard read. Have any flash cards you wanna share?

Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom