DMC Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James R,

Thanks!

Sounds like your approach is the prevailing advice. 30 seconds float, kick like hell, repeat :)

Like you said, just gotta make it work! We have the 800 yard snorkle next week so I know I have at least two weeks to practice floating...should be able to get it. I just don't want to pass with the minimum since our instructor stated that final decretion is his whether to certify. If I can get a 20 I have a much better chance.

Now the physics is another story, for me it's a hard read. Have any flash cards you wanna share?

Thanks for the advice!

AZdiver,

You should try creating your own flash cards. The act of creating the flash cards should help you to retain the information a lot more than just reading them.

Additionally, a trick I used with students (Computer Science, not scuba diving) was to let them bring a single sheet of paper (8.5" x 11") with whatever they wanted to put on it. I did this knowing full well that all the information they needed for the final exam would never fit on the sheet, even if they used 2 point font. Just the act of trying to figure out what would fit, how they could get the most to fit caused them to pour over the information again and again. By the time most of them had their 'cheat sheet' prepared they didn't need it. :D

I haven't looked at how much information we need to know but it might be small enough you can get it to fit on a single sheet. In that case, see if you can get it all to fit on a 3" x 5" flash card. :wink:

Scubadiver888-

You're right, flash cards are a good teaching tool. I've created some for the 20 skills, I've been doing alot of copying and pasting but even that helps to retain the info.

Your suggestion is a good one for the physics test, really all of the book works.

Thanks!

I always suggest for the snorkel to use lightweight fins, which has already been suggested, as well as using those lightweight for fins for the TDT. Mares full foots are a sure winner coz they are powerful yet lightweight.

I always suggest for the snorkel to use lightweight fins, which has already been suggested, as well as using those lightweight for fins for the TDT. Mares full foots are a sure winner coz they are powerful yet lightweight.
Thanks ScubabunnyCR -

Just so happened that that's what I used, Mares fullfoot Race, they worked good, I was about a half a minute from scoring a five.

I'm sure they will work much better for the TDT.

Where are you at in Costa Rica? I've been there twice to dive.

Thanks again!

Concerning the 15-minute tread/float (I consider "float" to be inaccurate). You need not worry about a weight during the actual test. This is a definite violation of standards (you cannot add elements to increase difficulty - such as not allowing an instructor to require you to do a suvival bob like the SEALs do by tying hands and feet).

Another suggestion for the snorkel swim. If your fins are slapping the water indeed you are losing power, not to mention rhythm. Try putting your hands behind your back while kicking. It shifts your center of balance to lower your fins without adding any weight/equipment. The forward propulsion will keep your head at the surface also. Any fins you are comfortable with would, IMHO, be the best bet. Changing fins close to test date will change the load placed on you and will require a style change. I don't recommend this unless you have time to adapt to the new equipment.

Concerning the tired diver tow, I strongly encourage you to do the modified diver tow that Crowley suggested. Again, if the instructor INSISTS that you do it using a single method, this is a violation of standards (see my above, again). But if you use the modified diver tow, remember that if you cannot keep a straight line, that corrections will add distance between start and finish (that old adage of "the shortest distance..." comes up again) and lengthening your total time. And I strongly suggest that you breath from your reg. If you breath through a snorkel, it will impede your air flow and increase dead air circulating.

I think that others have already addressed all of the other issues I can think of.

Thanks to everyone for all the great posts, they have all been helpful. I've ebeen able to apply the advice given and one stamina test is complete with 3 to go.

I would like to shift to the academic portion of the tests, what has everyone done to help with physics?

Have you found information outside of the DM materials that was helpful?

It's a given that study, study, study and read, read, read are important but what are some of the tricks that you used to reatain information and focus on the right information? It seems to me that with the PADI tests that the Knowledge Review isn't always an indication of what will be on the tests.

Also, I tend to learn more by doing or even watching but reading is sometimes a challenge, has anyone found any video lectures?

I have my physics test this week. I haven't found anything visual like a video lecture. I'm just reading, reviewing, doing problems, re-reading, reviewing, and doing more problems. I wish I'd done this at 20 instead of at 54!

I have found, trying to explain something to someone else helps me remember and understand it better. Try to teach someone else the material you are learning. Find another DMC and teach them the material.

If you cannot find someone willing to listen to you, rehearse teaching it to an imaginary audience. When I prepared lectures I would often run through the lecture material as if I was presenting it so I could refine it and get my timing down. Same sort of thing would help to remember the material as well.

I have my physics test this week. I haven't found anything visual like a video lecture. I'm just reading, reviewing, doing problems, re-reading, reviewing, and doing more problems. I wish I'd done this at 20 instead of at 54!
I hear ya merxlin!

If I would have done it at 20 I wouldn't have needed these reading glasses and I could have perhaps read for more than ten minutes without needing a break :)

Let me know how it goes for you.

I have found, trying to explain something to someone else helps me remember and understand it better. Try to teach someone else the material you are learning. Find another DMC and teach them the material.

If you cannot find someone willing to listen to you, rehearse teaching it to an imaginary audience. When I prepared lectures I would often run through the lecture material as if I was presenting it so I could refine it and get my timing down. Same sort of thing would help to remember the material as well.
scubadiver888-

Thanks for the reminder, those are good learning and teaching methods, I have found them helpful in other areas.

I'll still look for other tools too, although part of the challenge is available time.

Thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom