DM Progress...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdowndh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Well, with a few chapters of the DM book under my belt, I was invited to sit in with an open water class last week, working around the Thanksgiving holiday. Sadly I did not get to make the second pool session, it was THE day for my family get-together and I did not get to fit it in. However, the classroom sessions and the first pool sessions were eye-opening. It is easy to forget just how "novice" the word really is. I've sat in a boat opposite newly certified divers many times but it really hit home by some of the questions asked to the instructor during these sessions (I was not allowed to participate, just watch and learn). I can say the next time I'm on a boat with newly certified divers I hope I can be of help to them in ANY way. If nothing else DM has knocked a chip off my shoulder that I didn't know was there. I've always tried to be helpful when diving, one of the reasons other divers have always prodded me towards DM or Instructor. But still, I am somewhat in shock as to how I could forget that newly certified divers really are new to this sport that I love so much, but are just scratching the surface... and need all the help/guidance available!
My instructor told me that the 2nd pool sessions would take some of that away from me because of the way students pick things up relatively quickly (most of them anyway). It would have been cool to see them finish up everything except the open water stuff. I may get to see them if I go down to the Blue Hole with them in a week or two.
Anyway, still enjoying the heck out of my DM!

Where are you taking your DM. I took my fateful DSD (free session) at the Colorado Springs "Diver's Reef". I was stationed at Peterson and had an assignment to Hawaii. Now 2 years later I can't stop. Just finishing DM, and have been into tech diving for about a year now.

I'm using Planet Scuba here in the thriving metropolis of Castle Rock. I met Rob, the owner/operator kind of by accident, my gf and I took an AOW class w/him, took a quick Cozumel trip thru his shop, ended up taking our ResQ, just got back from a 10 day Fiji w/shark dives on Beqa Lagoon, and now I'm doing my DM with him. He is a wealth of knowledge and very easy going.
Man, I'd LOVE to be somewhere like Hawaii.... I'd have to give up on some of my other habits, cars, motorcycles, drums... my gf would probably leave <grin>. I'd be diving all the time. Do you have your own boat???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom