i am stupid...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello Stupid. I am Dad.

Sorry, I just had to.

Yeah there are other people that I could train with, but it's a bit awkward in BSACs setup as I'd be shunning someone who I'd be diving with for the next few years... I'll mention it to him again first and if there's no progress I'll ask about changing instructors!
Just so you know don’t have to dive only with the club dives. Once you get a diver grade you can dive anywhere using that diver grade.

You can make your own trips with buddies you know, you can even get signed off by any bsac instructor willing to teach/sign skills even if they are not in your club.

You can even switch clubs if you find you don’t get along with the instructors in your club or unhappy about the progress.

I’d start by doing a proper weight check in the pool with a cylinder at 50bar (or you can do it will a full tank but then you are underweighted by the weight of the gas in the cylinder, so add that back).

You should keep a tiny bit of tension in your back (picture slightly clenching your butt and arching a tiny bit your back), and knees bent with fins flat in a neutral position. A bit like a parachutist free falling …

Hi, I'm in what I guess is a standard BCD... def not a bp/w and don't think its back inflate. Possibly am overweighted, and no wetsuit no drysuit etc.
You use 6kg of weights in a fresh water pool without a wetsuit?
How fast do you sink if you use the dump valve ?

Normally the tank alone (steel at least) should be enough for you to sink when deflating.

Hi, I'm in what I guess is a standard BCD... def not a bp/w and don't think its back inflate. Possibly am overweighted, and no wetsuit no drysuit etc.
Yes you will most definitely be over weight with 6kg. Most people with a full 12L cylinder and no wetsuit don't need any weight at all for the pool. Some people need 1kg. Being overweight by this much will make trim, stability, and buoyancy significantly harder (trim impossible). Try and do your next lesson without any weight, but bring two 1kg weights that can be thrown into the BCD pockets if needed.

Yes you will most definitely be over weight with 6kg. Most people with a full 12L cylinder and no wetsuit don't need any weight at all for the pool. Some people need 1kg. Being overweight by this much will make trim, stability, and buoyancy significantly harder (trim impossible). Try and do your next lesson without any weight, but bring two 1kg weights that can be thrown into the BCD pockets if needed.
Thanks alot, will bring this up with my instructor.

You use 6kg of weights in a fresh water pool without a wetsuit?
How fast do you sink if you use the dump valve ?

Normally the tank alone (steel at least) should be enough for you to sink when deflating.
Yes I do! lol... Full deflation makes me sink like a rock! Not sure if this is accurate but I would guess 2 metres/second ( basically 1 second or under in a 2 metre pool...

Thanks alot, will bring this up with my instructor.
Just ask to do a proper weight check and make him supervise you while doing it.

Literally take a bunch of weights on the shallowish side of the pool, ideally with a cylinder at 50bar, try to descend without weights, then try again with 1kg more until you can descend and hover close to the bottom without having to hold your lungs empty.

If you cannot find a 50bar cylinder, do it with a fuller cylinder and add the weight of the gas.

You’ll have to do something similar in saltwater and know your approximation delta fresh vs salt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom