i am stupid...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FJUK1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I've been having issues with buoyancy in my first 3 pool sessions since starting my Ocean Diver training with BSAC in the UK - mainly with rolling upwards to the RIGHT 75% of the time after achieving neutral buoyancy (left hip sinks and end up on my back).

Last night I tried working on this with my instructor. I have two lead weights on my weight belt (3kg each, around 6lbs each). In trying to fix this, I shifted the weight belt so that one 3kg weight was essentially on the left side of my abdomen, and the other 3kg was on my right hip... obviously causing it to worsen.

Not sure why I didn't realise I was doing the complete opposite to what I needed but there we go.......

I don't have another pool session for 6 weeks (personal holidays/club night clashes). If I evenly distribute each 3kg weight across my abdomen, is this likely to resolve my issue?

A BP/W or Back Inflate BC might help with keeping a horizontal face down position. Also, 6kg of total weight is between 13 -14 lbs which seems to me like a lot for fresh water pool conditions. Do they have you in a wetsuit in the pool?

I've been having issues with buoyancy in my first 3 pool sessions since starting my Ocean Diver training with BSAC in the UK - mainly with rolling upwards to the RIGHT 75% of the time after achieving neutral buoyancy (left hip sinks and end up on my back).

Last night I tried working on this with my instructor. I have two lead weights on my weight belt (3kg each, around 6lbs each). In trying to fix this, I shifted the weight belt so that one 3kg weight was essentially on the left side of my abdomen, and the other 3kg was on my right hip... obviously causing it to worsen.

Not sure why I didn't realise I was doing the complete opposite to what I needed but there we go.......

I don't have another pool session for 6 weeks (personal holidays/club night clashes). If I evenly distribute each 3kg weight across my abdomen, is this likely to resolve my issue?
When I was learning, those many many years ago, I used 2 2 kilo weights (I weighed a lot less then) on either side of my buckle. It tended to keep me pitched forward, but in horizontal trim while moving about.

Even distribution will help, as will more practice. Rolling is usually a matter of proper body tension (or the lack thereof) and uneven distribution of weight.

Your instructor should be working with you on this. If he or she isn't, it is time to think about finding a new one... This isn't something that you should have to figure out on your own.

A BP/W or Back Inflate BC might help with keeping a horizontal face down position. Also, 6kg of total weight is between 13 -14 lbs which seems to me like a lot for fresh water pool conditions. Do they have you in a wetsuit in the pool?
Hi, I'm in what I guess is a standard BCD... def not a bp/w and don't think its back inflate. Possibly am overweighted, and no wetsuit no drysuit etc.

When I was learning, those many many years ago, I used 2 2 kilo weights (I weighed a lot less then) on either side of my buckle. It tended to keep me pitched forward, but in horizontal trim while moving about.
I am pitched forward currently as my instructor noted last night. He suggested that my RK3 HD's were neutrally buoyant... which I don't think they are, however I was just wearing neoprene socks with them (2mm), so I suppose drysuit booties are needed to make proper use of them. Anyway, I'm more struggling with rolling onto my back currently, can't really swim a lap of the pool without it happening unless I'm making constant adjustments using my hands, which I obviously don't want to get into the habit of doing :(

Even distribution will help, as will more practice. Rolling is usually a matter of proper body tension (or the lack thereof) and uneven distribution of weight.

Your instructor should be working with you on this. If he or she isn't, it is time to think about finding a new one... This isn't something that you should have to figure out on your own.
I will admit I am not consciously engaging any muscles in trying to remain horizontal, mainly because I haven't been told to do so. On my next session I will bring this up and try to work on it, thanks for the advice!!

We all make mistakes when we start out. Scratch that. We all continue to make mistakes. Just focus on improving and learning and it will all come together. Please do not be hard on yourself. Being underwater is something we evolved from, not to.

already replied but wanted to add this:

my instructor kinda brushes it off each time i mention it and chalks it up to being something to do with my tank position potentially being too high/low/left/right of centre but never fixes it lol...

We all make mistakes when we start out. Scratch that. We all continue to make mistakes. Just focus on improving and learning and it will all come together. Please do not be hard on yourself. Being underwater is something we evolved from, not to.
Absolutely! Just very frustrated that this keeps on happening as we have limited pool/learning time with BSAC. Averages around 1hr per 2 weeks with most clubs. Have only been able to complete skills like reg recovery, mask clearing, alternate source ascent etc. Worried my buoyancy will lag behind

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom