i am stupid...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will admit I am not consciously engaging any muscles in trying to remain horizontal, mainly because I haven't been told to do so. On my next session I will bring this up and try to work on it, thanks for the advice!!
You're welcome. If you can get some video of yourself, that could help you (and us) see more of what's going on.

The other thing to think about is how your tank is oriented on your bc and body. If it isn't straight (along the spine) and centered on the spine, I've seen students struggle.

Try to hold some tension in your buttocks, and look straight ahead (not down) while swimming.

Absolutely! Just very frustrated that this keeps on happening as we have limited pool/learning time with BSAC. Averages around 1hr per 2 weeks with most clubs. Have only been able to complete skills like reg recovery, mask clearing, alternate source ascent etc. Worried my buoyancy will lag behind
Your instructor should be working with you by distributing the weight so that you can float effortlessly horizontally. That is so important for setting a foundation for learning to do diving skills properly. That little bit of overhead will save time in the end. Is there anyone else you can work with to achieve this result?

You're welcome. If you can get some video of yourself, that could help you (and us) see more of what's going on.

The other thing to think about is how your tank is oriented on your bc and body. If it isn't straight (along the spine) and centered on the spine, I've seen students struggle.

Try to hold some tension in your buttocks, and look straight ahead (not down) while swimming.
Will definitely try this during my next session, really appreciate it!

Your instructor should be working with you by distributing the weight so that you can float effortlessly horizontally. That is so important for setting a foundation for learning to do diving skills properly. That little bit of overhead will save time in the end. Is there anyone else you can work with to achieve this result?
Yeah there are other people that I could train with, but it's a bit awkward in BSACs setup as I'd be shunning someone who I'd be diving with for the next few years... I'll mention it to him again first and if there's no progress I'll ask about changing instructors!

already replied but wanted to add this:

my instructor kinda brushes it off each time i mention it and chalks it up to being something to do with my tank position potentially being too high/low/left/right of centre but never fixes it lol...
:/ I was just going to say what @wetb4igetinthewater said.

I get the feeling that for whatever reason, your instructor isn't right for you.

Two suggestions. The first would be to diplomatically find a way to work with another BSAC instructor. The other would be to go and find a non-BSAC instructor and work with them and keep it to yourself.

There's a fair number of TDI instructors in the UK... I'd imagine that you could find one that would be willing to teach you an OW course. I don't know if there's GUE or UTD instructors in the UK, but the same would go for them...

:/ I was just going to say what @wetb4igetinthewater said.

I get the feeling that for whatever reason, your instructor isn't right for you.

Two suggestions. The first would be to diplomatically find a way to work with another BSAC instructor. The other would be to go and find a non-BSAC instructor and work with them and keep it to yourself.

There's a fair number of TDI instructors in the UK... I'd imagine that you could find one that would be willing to teach you an OW course. I don't know if there's GUE or UTD instructors in the UK, but the same would go for them...

I always like the excuse of seeking alternative viewpoints, and expanding upon the excellent foundation already given, yada yada yada. Moving it from you (mr fancy dive instructor) suck, I ( as a new diver) want something different, you've been great just want to see what else is out there. Might be harder in the middle of a OW course though.

edit: added some clarification lol

I always like the excuse of seeking alternative viewpoints, and expanding upon the excellent foundation already given, yada yada yada. Moving it from you suck, I want something different to a you've been great just want to see what else is out there. Might be harder in the middle of a OW course though.
Accepting that I suck, but that doesn't help me much. Any advice to give?

But you don't suck. You just need proper instruction. Trust us here. Many of us are instructors. The only student I've had that sucked is one that disregarded safety rules. That's not you. Getting you trimmed, properly weighted, finning efficiently is the instructor's responsibility. This isn't brain surgery were the finest precision is required. This is underwater meditation with some finning.

lol meant that as saying that to the instructor, as in telling the instructor they suck and aren't giving you what you wanted. Not that you as a new diver suck. As @wetb4igetinthewater said it's a learning process and so long as you are engaged and showing up with an attitude to better yourself, you won't be a bad diver.

Also one other thing, like a lot of things, I have found I'm never done learning about scuba diving. I take courses that might not align with my skill level (i.e I have completed something "higher" or even sometimes similar) but I can take something from that instructor's point of view and incorporate into my diving or diving knowledge. Sometimes It's just reading a book about the ocean, underwater exploration, sometimes its a class, blog post, youtube video, etc. By posting here, I think you already exhibit that eagerness to learn, keep it up and it'll serve you well.

Diving is a never ending journey of skill refinement,knowledge, and experiences.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom