i am stupid...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The BC may be a little big or too loose allowing the tank to roll or shift a little, disrupting things. That coupled with not perfectly balanced core muscle activity might explain it. When you're on the surface does the BC feel like it's riding up on your neck and chin?

There is a lot of good stuff been said about being properly weighted, trimmed and finning efficiently.

Like others, 2 x 3kg weights sounds unusual. Not impossible as I did work with someone who needed this weight in the pool.

It’s a long time since originally training with a BSAC branch. It may be worth having a chat with the diving officer/training officer (assuming this is not your instructor). There are other options to push your training along if that’s what you want. There are BSAC centres.

The RK3 HD’s. Put them in the pool. If they sink, negatively buoyant. If they float, positively buoyant.

I always like the excuse of seeking alternative viewpoints, and expanding upon the excellent foundation already given, yada yada yada. Moving it from you (mr fancy dive instructor) suck, I ( as a new diver) want something different, you've been great just want to see what else is out there. Might be harder in the middle of a OW course though.

edit: added some clarification lol
I completely agree, and good point. I'm being very delicate in my approach here. I had some sh!tty instructors, and this made me have some flashbacks, but at the end of the day, most divers take years to realize how bad that initial instructor was.

OTOH, it is a realistic possibility that the instructor and student just don't mesh.

I've had students (some of whom love me) that I would rather never train again. I've had others (two this weekend) who were a joy to teach. I've learned that it isn't about them all the time; often it's about me.

The instructor that I teach with and regularly dive with is kind of my opposite. Where I do X he does Y, but we both produce high-quality student divers.

Like others, 2 x 3kg weights sounds unusual.
It is a lot. For my weight, that would be like carrying 18lbs of lead in warm seawater. On my last warm water trip, I settled in at around 10lbs with a full 3mm wetsuit and a typical rental jacket BCD. And I'm not a skinny dude by any stretch.

It is a lot. For my weight, that would be like carrying 18lbs of lead in warm seawater. On my last warm water trip, I settled in at around 10lbs with a full 3mm wetsuit and a typical rental jacket BCD. And I'm not a skinny dude by any stretch.
Will ask about weight, I thought it was 2kg each instead of 3... but it is 3

I completely agree, and good point. I'm being very delicate in my approach here. I had some sh!tty instructors, and this made me have some flashbacks, but at the end of the day, most divers take years to realize how bad that initial instructor was.

OTOH, it is a realistic possibility that the instructor and student just don't mesh.

I've had students (some of whom love me) that I would rather never train again. I've had others (two this weekend) who were a joy to teach. I've learned that it isn't about them all the time; often it's about me.

The instructor that I teach with and regularly dive with is kind of my opposite. Where I do X he does Y, but we both produce high-quality student divers.
I've had 2 instructors so far, one is my 'regular' and one was a 1-off type thing. My regular instructor has good methods such as teaching skills in a horizontal position, however isn't doing much to help explain my buoyancy issues etc. The other is really friendly as was trying to help with my issues, but taught me mask clearing skills on my knees... bit of a mixed bunch

There is a lot of good stuff been said about being properly weighted, trimmed and finning efficiently.

Like others, 2 x 3kg weights sounds unusual. Not impossible as I did work with someone who needed this weight in the pool.

It’s a long time since originally training with a BSAC branch. It may be worth having a chat with the diving officer/training officer (assuming this is not your instructor). There are other options to push your training along if that’s what you want. There are BSAC centres.

The RK3 HD’s. Put them in the pool. If they sink, negatively buoyant. If they float, positively buoyant.
Thanks for your input! I think I am overweighted. I need almost a full BCD to be able to float on the surface and I sink very fast when emptying my BCD once in the pool.

The BC may be a little big or too loose allowing the tank to roll or shift a little, disrupting things. That coupled with not perfectly balanced core muscle activity might explain it. When you're on the surface does the BC feel like it's riding up on your neck and chin?
I asked about this a couple of weeks ago. The BCD fit seems perfect to me, doesn't ride up anywhere. Only concern is that it is pretty old (15+ years) and have issues dumping air when trying to sink. Could possibly be trapped air in parts of it.

lol meant that as saying that to the instructor, as in telling the instructor they suck and aren't giving you what you wanted. Not that you as a new diver suck. As @wetb4igetinthewater said it's a learning process and so long as you are engaged and showing up with an attitude to better yourself, you won't be a bad diver.

Also one other thing, like a lot of things, I have found I'm never done learning about scuba diving. I take courses that might not align with my skill level (i.e I have completed something "higher" or even sometimes similar) but I can take something from that instructor's point of view and incorporate into my diving or diving knowledge. Sometimes It's just reading a book about the ocean, underwater exploration, sometimes its a class, blog post, youtube video, etc. By posting here, I think you already exhibit that eagerness to learn, keep it up and it'll serve you well.

Diving is a never ending journey of skill refinement,knowledge, and experiences.
Sorry for being abrupt in my reply, misunderstood you! Definitely trying to broaden my knowledge on all things scuba whilst im learning, just cant find much information on my current problem!

Thanks for your input! I think I am overweighted. I need almost a full BCD to be able to float on the surface and I sink very fast when emptying my BCD once in the pool.
I would say you definitely are overweighted. Which is, unfortunately, fairly common for students. Many instructors find it easier to teach if the student isn't floating away.

It is better to be a little overweighted than a little underweighted, but the key word there is little. Start removing some weight. Talk to your instructor about it. Instructor may opt to put a couple of weights in the pool in case you end up underweighted, but sounds like you could remove some and be fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom