Question buoyancy issues during 'open water' training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FJUK1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hello,

I am currently undertaking Ocean Diver training with BSAC and have had 2 pool sessions so far. After achieving neutral buoyancy, I immediately begin sinking on my right hand side, and have flipped over onto my back underwater twice. I'm quite frustrated with this and am looking for a way to fix it.

Some possible causes (could be completely wrong):

- Renting a reg set and my primary 2nd stage has one vent blocked (on the left side) by something that looks like a rock?
- Being completely relaxed underwater and not consciously engaging back+core muscles

My next pool session is tomorrow, looking for any tips I could try to fix this issue!

Are your weights balanced on both sides? Maybe shift them towards the front side of the belt.

Are your weights balanced on both sides? Maybe shift them towards the front side of the belt.
1st session they were in weight pockets, 2nd session they were on a weight belt but on the outermost point of my hips, will try them on the front tomorrow, thanks!

I don't think it's related to your second stage - but if you think there is something odd about it you should ask your instructor. Either you'll get it changed out or you'll something so it's a win:win.

Going lopsided is probably weight distribution as above. If it's the lead weight, front/side/back doesn't matter so much so long as it's symmetrical so isn't trying to rotate you. The other thing is the fit and adjustment of your BCD - if that's loose there might be room for the cylinder to wobble left/right on your back and also try to spin you.

You're also right to mention core strength. Neutrally buoyant, hovering divers are relaxed but even when visually static are making microadjustments to keep their body position that way.

I took someone for a try dive once. She was tiny, maybe 45kg body weight. Dive centre gave her a 12L dumpy steel cylinder. Every time she relaxed in the water, she flipped over like a turtle and could get back up the right way. It was quite frustrating. Luckily, she was quite a chilled out kind of person and saw the funny side. As for the OP, it does sound like some weight redistribution to the left side might help. Trim is an important aspect of diving which is often neglected in entry level courses.

As others said, it's not a skill issue.
  • Are you using a rental BCD?
  • Does your BCD harness fit properly, or is it loose?
  • Is your BCD centered?
  • Is your scuba-tank not centered?
  • Is your scuba-tank flopping around for any reason?
If possible, it might be worth seeing if your instructor can assist you, or spot the issue.

Hello,

I am currently undertaking Ocean Diver training with BSAC and have had 2 pool sessions so far. After achieving neutral buoyancy, I immediately begin sinking on my right hand side, and have flipped over onto my back underwater twice. I'm quite frustrated with this and am looking for a way to fix it.

Some possible causes (could be completely wrong):

- Renting a reg set and my primary 2nd stage has one vent blocked (on the left side) by something that looks like a rock?
- Being completely relaxed underwater and not consciously engaging back+core muscles

My next pool session is tomorrow, looking for any tips I could try to fix this issue!
My first suggestion is to relax. It is going to be ok.

My second suggestion is to relax, because it's going to be ok.

My third suggestion would be to relax, because it is going to be ok.

My fourth suggestion is to relax, because your instructor knows what the problem is and it's going to be ok.

This is totally a normal problem with new divers. Relax. It isn't you. It's going to be ok. If you are having this problem after 10 dives come back and send me a PM, because then it wouldn't be OK.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom