DIY wing tutorial - very picture heavy.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hmmm... I wonder if the material I used was easier to do a heat seal. I used Cortex600 which I thought was the same but possibly not? Or maybe I just got lucky with my sealing.

Agree with the sewing. You can't see it in the picture but there is two rows of stitching around the edge of my one.

Tom, what heat setting and time over one particular area did you find optimal? I plan on doing some trials to find out for myself but a starting point would be great. I also plan on sewing in a reinforcement.

Highest heat setting. Moved the iron at about 1cm/second. After the whole iron has moved over a section its probably had about 7-10 seconds maybe.

I made a few hand sized bags to begin with to test it out. pumped them up and left them over night.

I came across a "Vinyl Glue" called HH-66. Anyone tried it? Supposedly it will securely bond PVC-coated polyester. I also saw a video where it was used to seal sewn seams from the outside (fills in the needle holes) but even if it did keep out water I doubt it would hold air in a fully-inflated BC without a good bead along the seams from the inside. The glue seems like it would be easier than using heat, but whatever works the best is, of course, most important.

Also, I'm only finding 300 x 600 denier fabric. Is there such a thing as 600 x 600 or whatever? I don't know what the thread count (if that's what the numbers mean) is on my snorkel vest bc but I'm thinking thicker might be better. I have an old ScubaPro wing from around the 60s or 70s and it's pretty thick. So far I have been unsuccessful in repairing the seams where they let go. I suppose any BC could become punctured if someone was careless but I'd be more comfortable with thicker.

For a back-mount tank I found what looks like the perfect plastic backpack. It's an old Dacor. I removed the U-bolts and cut some slots so I can use a 2" webbing type of tank strap. It is thinner than my other plastic backpacks so the tank with lay closer to my back. I'm planning on filling it with about eight pounds of lead shot for better trim and to reduce the weight on my belt.

Re: the glue. Try it and let us know. Start with a small sample. Make a little pouch. Put water in it. No leak then put in water inverted and see if any air leak.

I haven't checked my local fabric supply store yet for the PVC coated polyester and if they don't have it I'll be ordering a yard so I'll have plenty to play with. I was hoping I didn't get to be the one to spend $15 to find out if the glue works :wink:

DIY isn't about saving money. It is fun and you get what you WANT.

I agree for the most part, but sometimes I can spend $10 making something that sells for $100 and can't see spending the extra $90 that I could be spending on something fun that I can't make. At this point in my life I seem to have more time than money.

@raftingtigger After having made and used your wing, how well do you think the 300X600 fabric is holding up? I noticed that many commercial wings are using 1680 denier polyester. Do you think the 600 is thick enough? I don't know what my snorkel vest is but it's probably less than 600 and so far it seems fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom