DIY wing tutorial - very picture heavy.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey raftingtigger, how went your research on using PVC glue instead of ironing? Any pics of you using your DIY bladder?

This is one that has about 30-50 dives on it and is the PVC glue construction. It was built 1 year ago by the diver wearing it (my buddy for the weekend). Another product of Steve Martin's excellent video SM classes.
_8110158 john.jpg

Very nice! Would you say the ironed one is better/more durable that the PVC glue one? Also, do you have to do the PVC gluing in sections because of the fast drying time or is there a glue that has a longer drying time? Sorry for all the ?'s

Glue is easier. If you do it in a cool place the glue will stay liquid longer. You could also use a good 2 part glue like hypalon glue, but we were using what was on hand. Getting a good heat seal was problematic and inconsistent. The safety seam is important in my book. As said earlier if I were to make another I would put sealant inside on the seam. See about 4 posts earlier for my projected method.

Raftingtigger, you have been most helpful! I agree the heat method I think would be inconsistent. I will try the glue method, yes, I am about to build the glorious raftingtigger SM bladder here in the next few days!

, I am about to build the glorious raftingtigger SM bladder here in the next few days!

Please let us know how the internal sealing works. Even if you are only able to internally seal 3/4 of it I think it would be worth the trouble.

Getting a good heat seal was problematic and inconsistent.

I agree the heat method I think would be inconsistent.

Once you get the hang of it the heat method is actually quite easy. You don't need to hold the iron on its side and trace a line like Tigger has done. Just place the iron flat down and seal from the very edge in a cm or so (About half inch).

Easy peasy.

IMG_0137.JPG IMG_0139.JPG

Once you get the hang of it the heat method is actually quite easy. You don't need to hold the iron on its side and trace a line like Tigger has done. Just place the iron flat down and seal from the very edge in a cm or so (About half inch).

Easy peasy.

View attachment 474393 View attachment 474394

Nice job. I wish I found it that easy. Any abrupt changes in the contour of the inside edge of the seal is a place for the inflated bladder to peel apart the seal. Neither could I get the temp, pressure, and timing of my sealing consistent enough. Do what works best for you.

I have had heat seals open under inflation. A BIG issue if there is no sewn safety seal, a trivial one if there is. Now if you can get the heat seal really solid - that is the way to go - alas, I couldn't.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom