DIY Weight pouches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They actually look rather nice, but fastener wise I would have went a little different, I dont know what to call it, but sort of that bend with 2 rings like you use on waterborne watches.

Oh and one other thing, don't smear vaseline all over your camera before you take pictures.. :p

But seriously nice job man

Cheekymonkey:
Oh and one other thing, don't smear vaseline all over your camera before you take pictures.. :p

But seriously nice job man

Yea, i didnt notice the blurs that bad until I posted the pics.

At the price of $1 a pouch, I did buy 4 extra to experiment with, so I will probably spend the next few days toying with a few different ideas for mounting them. I actually even thought about poking small holes in each corner on the back and putting together 2 zip ties on each side to make little slots to slide the bands through.

Ah i've tried the ziptie thing, they are too ruff on the fabric and make the fabric fray where they touch it.

Didn't think about that. One thing I did think about is that the weight of it could eventually make the fabic rip.

dhampton82:
Yea, i didnt notice the blurs that bad until I posted the pics.

At the price of $1 a pouch, I did buy 4 extra to experiment with, so I will probably spend the next few days toying with a few different ideas for mounting them. I actually even thought about poking small holes in each corner on the back and putting together 2 zip ties on each side to make little slots to slide the bands through.

I've been thinking of doing something similar, but I'm holding out for army surplus pockets that have nylon straps and fastex buckles rather than the snap. Haven't found 'em yet...

I agree that you probably don't want to punch holes then rely on them to bear the weight.

You might, however, want to take a soldering iron and burn a couple of drain holes in the bottom corners. Just a thought. If you burn them rather than punch them they are less likely to fray.

After the alice clip rusts, I think I'd take it off and run a zip tie in it's place. Probably make it a little more floppy, though...

Yea, not sure of the kind of fabric through for punching the drain holes with a soldering iron, if its not a synthetic fabric you can get grommets at any clothing store like JO'ANNs

Cheekymonkey:
Yea, not sure of the kind of fabric through for punching the drain holes with a soldering iron, if its not a synthetic fabric you can get grommets at any clothing store like JO'ANNs

Based on the pictures I'm 90% sure these are the nylon ones, but it doesn't matter, 'cuz when I was looking back at the pictures I noticed a drain grommet that I didn't notice before, so never mind... :wink:

Nice job, looks clean to me. As far the metal clips go I'd ditch them, Diverite has some plastic clips that are removable (but are a PITA) and are wide enough that I'd think you could get away with using one per pouch. either that or try sewing a piece of 2 inch webbing in the other direction to be able to run thru the cam band.

Look at the bottom of the first picture, it allready had a drain hole.
(yes cheekymonkey, you can even see it threw the vaseline :D )

:) looks like your all set then dhampton, go in the pool and whirl around upside down and let us know how they work out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom