DIY Weight pouches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dhampton82

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Anyone ever made their own weight pouches for adding weight to a cam band? Or found a good way to attach weights to an upper portion of their BC?

I am trying to fix my "lead feet" and was looking for a way to add weight higher up on my BC to fix my trim some and looked at pockets made for that purpose such as the xs scuba trim pouches.

They are $9 a piece, so that would mean that it would be $36 for four of them (2 for me and 2 for the g/f) and it had me thinking. Could I possibly make one my self? Where could I get material like this to do it with? Or is there just a different way to put weights up higher on my BC?

Its not that I dont want to spend $40 on something that could better my diving, its just a curiosity thing that had me wondering if anyone had ever DIY'ed some trim solutions.............

You can make a simple weight that goes around the tank neck. Get a 1-inch plastic fastex clip (2-pieces male/femaile), tie one clip to one end of 18 inches of cord, run the cord through a 8-10 -inch section of bicycle inner tube, tie off one end of the tube with string around the cord (like a sausage), pour lead shot into inner tube to fill it, tie the line to the other clip and then tie the other end of the inner tube shut with string (like the other end of a sausage), This makes a section of inner tube packed with lead shot and a string running through the center and clips on each end for easy removal.

you have a home made ankle weight or a weight that will go around the tank neck. Reinforce the tube by wrapping it with duct tape leaving only the clips exposed... This will last years if you tie it right.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am looking for something that I could adjust the amount of weight if needed

Well you can make a few small ones.. Small diameter innertubes hold probably less than 2 lbs. I used to use them for certain diving applications where I wanted to run forward on the bottom with no fins and keep my head down.

Lighter fins may be an easier approach, but your idea bout adding pockets high up on the BC would work well too, just make sure the velcro is tuff, and face them opening end down so god forbid you could dorp them if you needed too, although not necessary if you are referring to very tiny amounts of lead.

It shouldnt be much weight at all, I dont think that it needs to be ditchable weight since I will still have weight in my weight pockets.

This will just be something to get some of the 14 pounds out of my weight pouches and up on my back. I would say 8 pounds MAX.

"They are $9 a piece, so that would mean that it would be $36 for four of them (2 for me and 2 for the g/f)"

$9 piece is nothing in the scuba industry. I got the halcyon counterfeit from eBay. But, it was more than XS pouches.

I understand your intention is DIY though. If your motivation is money, there isn't that much saving.

$$$ is not the motivation. It was just a thing that I was thinking about doing just for something to do while I'm not diving.

I cant make my own regulator, but I think I could handle some weight pouches.

And yes, I'm sure I will have more then $40 in parts and labor in them anyways.

I went to walmart and got some ancle weights which are adjustable. Hooking the two bands together the go around an AL80 just right. There is a total of 5# for both weights and I have to use 4# to keep my feet up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom