DIY scuba maintenance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dabiz7

Registered
Reaction score
This thread may already be on this board somewhere but i didn't see it...i am new to scuba diving and I can't believe that I can not get parts or information on maintaining my own equipment....i don't buy the whole "It's life-support" bull-s&^^%^....I am freely able to work on the brakes to a 5000 lb missile that can do infinitely more damage than one scuba regulator.....There has to be some way that a mechanically-inclined person can get the parts, manuals, etc. that one would need to do their own maintenance on BC's, reg's, tanks, etc......if anyone has any clues on how this is accomplished, please let me know..thanks

I am on the same quest. So, I would start by buying Vance Harlow's regulator book here: www.airspeedpress.com. Then, start hunting down manuals for your regs. Ebay is a good place to start. And lots of people here are willing to send you copies of reg manuals. Parts availability varies by make and model, so you'll have to ask around for that info.
The manual should give you an idea of what tools you need. Some you can buy from places like Sears, some you can make. For all others, check out this site: www.scubatools.com.
Leisurepro.com has some parts, like mouthpieces and such. If someone has a cheaper source for mouthpieces, please let me know :)
For o-rings, you can either get kits from an LDS, or you can buy bulk from places like this: http://www.air-oil.com/oringdetail.htm
If you can, try to get a scuba tech to let you watch a rebuild.
Of course, if you screw up the rebuild and die, don't blame me :wink:

Asking for help here is a good start. If you identify the regs you are looking for information and parts, you may be pleasantly surprised at all the help that can pop up.

I have several manuals, if you want to PM or email me the regulator brand.

dabiz7:
This thread may already be on this board somewhere but i didn't see it...i am new to scuba diving and I can't believe that I can not get parts or information on maintaining my own equipment....i don't buy the whole "It's life-support" bull-s&^^%^....I am freely able to work on the brakes to a 5000 lb missile that can do infinitely more damage than one scuba regulator.....There has to be some way that a mechanically-inclined person can get the parts, manuals, etc. that one would need to do their own maintenance on BC's, reg's, tanks, etc......if anyone has any clues on how this is accomplished, please let me know..thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom