Diy bp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaleC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone made, or have a link to, a DIY BP that doesn't require access to a machine shop? I'm thinking of something that will accept an off the shelf wing that can be made with the average garage type tools.
Thanks in advance,
Dale.

A fiberglass plate?
Actually, ever since I made a PVC STA, I was thinking of trying to make a PVC BP. Just a little heat and you could press it against an existing plate to get the proper shape. Maybe double it up with a layer of epoxy resin in between for added strength. A little grinder action to round up the edges, and some filing, and voila!

The first BP was made froma stolen STOP sign IIRC. All you really need is the design in your head and spacing measurement to drill the holes. wouldn't be hard at all. But I think I'll stick with my pre-fabs.

Well I went out and swiped a stop sign as FF suggested :wink: so now I have another question:

The central channel I see in the BP. I know it is where the bolts go for the doubles but is there another purpose that I can't see. I am wondering if I need it if I am using cam band slots for a single tank set up.
thanks in advance,
Dale.

Dave, if you're talking about the slot in the lower midline of the plate,
they are for the lower bolts.

If you're going to use your plate for singles exclusively with cambands,
I don't think you'll need them. Different story if you intend to use a
single tank adaptor.

Hope your project goes well!
KazA

This is my homemade single tank plate I made for a Diverite travel wing: http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/34832/ppuser/3377

I made it from some 1/4 inch 6061 aluminum that I had found. All cutting was done with a circular saw, jig saw, and drill. I took it to the shop for the about 10 degree bends. Since I picked up an HP100, it is a bit heavy (5 to 6 pounds) if not using a fair amount of neoprene. So I'm working on another shaped like the Koplin plate that I think I can get down to less than 2 lb. Shape can be whatever you want. I made my plates 15 to 16 inches long and 11 to 11.5 inches wide.

BTW, it has to be a labor of love because it sure is not worth the little money you will save.

This is my homemade single tank plate I made for a Diverite travel wing: http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/34832/ppuser/3377

Cool!

I thought I was the only one who still kept their snorkel attached to their plate. It's nice to see someone else do that :D

I also use velcro attachments, although I remove the lower half of the snorkel and stuff that into a pouch on my harness to save space.

Interesting idea on the compass pouch. Do you use ALICE clips to attach it to the harness?

Sorry for the hijack :D

Dave, if you're talking about the slot in the lower midline of the plate,
they are for the lower bolts.

If you're going to use your plate for singles exclusively with cambands,
I don't think you'll need them. Different story if you intend to use a
single tank adaptor.

Hope your project goes well!
KazA

I quick and dirty sta can be made out of a c channel.

Cool!

I thought I was the only one who still kept their snorkel attached to their plate. It's nice to see someone else do that :D

I also use velcro attachments, although I remove the lower half of the snorkel and stuff that into a pouch on my harness to save space.

Interesting idea on the compass pouch. Do you use ALICE clips to attach it to the harness?

Sorry for the hijack :D

I use a bungee loop at the top of the snorkel and velcro at the bottom. It has not failed me yet. The pouch is a surplus first aide pouch that holds a pair of swimming goggles when I dive solo. They will get me to the surface and let me read gauges. When I need more pockets, I also have a couple surplus ammo pouches. The std metal clips are reasonably rust resistant. Not pretty but cheap.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom