Question Scubapro DIN Conversion - to DIY or not to DIY?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did have a conversation with Lieven a while ago about this. I got confused as the ScubaPro dealer portal shows a 26mm nut which is completely wrong.

Long story short, the 25mm is in most cases the correct nut to use with regards to ScubaPro.
I am confused - you mean to say the 26mm is the wrong nut to use correct?

• the hex nut itself should never exceed the nominal size: e.g. 25mm is MAX 25mm across the flats
As you can see from the data above, the SP origina socket is a sloppy class 2 25mm socket and doesn't meet the specs for a proper 1" socket (too small).

Here he is saying even the 25mm is not the right fit. Or is it the case that when you order a 25mm socket from scuba-clinic you actually get 25.4mm?

Just found this clever hack for removing A-Clamps with just a spanner and without the thin-walled sockets. If anyone wants to try -

Edit - Just realised : However there’s a catch! When rebuilding the reg you need a torque wrench with specific toque settings and this hack won’t let you do that.
I don't know that I would automatically take the word of a "tech" who doesn't know a 6mm hex is the go-to tool for an Apeks reg but he is more or less correct.

Admittedly I am new to all this - but a 6mm hex long shaft with 3/8” drive in the socket is also what we can use to torque Scubapro regs. It’s easy to take apart something with hacks like these but if you need to rebuild with the right torque specs then the right tools are necessary for the job. I’m guessing the creator of the video simply under or over-tightened things and when he put things back together he also spoke about handing it over to the dive shop to “do all the right things”…

I am confused - you mean to say the 26mm is the wrong nut to use correct?

Here he is saying even the 25mm is not the right fit. Or is it the case that when you order a 25mm socket from scuba-clinic you actually get 25.4mm?

I admit that the terminology can become a tad confusing when looking at the numbers, I guess that is where your confusion is coming from.
  • A 25mm hex nut must never exceed 25mm, this is the maximum allowable width across the flats. In reality most are a bit smaller than this to keep within the specs.
  • A 25mm spanner/socket will be larger across the flats than 25mm, specifically +0.06 t0 +0.36mm for a class 1 and +0.06 t0 +0.46 for a class 2 spanner/socket.
If both the socket and hex nut were exactly 25mm, it would be impossible to fit a socket/spanner over the hex nut.

The 25mm is the one you want for ScubaPro regulators - most of the time at least. There are certain exceptions like older units, which do really have a 1" yoke nuts.

Back
Top Bottom