Dixie Divers Memorial Day Weekend Trip to Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DawgDiver:
I know what the logic behind it is, but i think it is flawed logic, and frankly...stupid. Most programs allow new OW students to take AOW right after OW. Now tell me, who is more experienced, !

Oh man do I agree with you.

One of our LDS's does the OW checkout dives with 3 dives on Saturday and 1 dive on Sunday (in a 38' quarry). They finish the OW dives early sunday.

Then they tell their students "You've already got on all the gear, do you want to start on your AOW" ? well heck yes is the most likely answer. They are ready to dive and are ready to go to the next level.

So at dive #5, they are starting on their AOW. Most of them have the opportunity to be AOW certified at 9 total dives. With only one of them deeper than 60 feet. (but not exceeding 90 or 95').

WHile this is a briliant marketing idea of the LDS to get people to fork over the $$$ for the next class imediately and to make them want to buy dive gear quicker, it doesn't make people experienced divers.

But I don't blame the LDS for that. I blame the industry and agencies such as PADI. These agencies have transformed the OW course from a 6 to 12 week course to one that can be taken over 1 to 2 weekends. It will soon be all e-learning and show up for your checkout dives and done in 2 days.

It doesn't make experienced divers. Promotes 'card collecting'

frankc420:
Uhm, I say you folks cancel your reservations at whatever hotel your at and we dive and stay at Amoray Dive Resort. .

Have you ever seen Amoray's dive boats on a holiday weekend such as Memorial day when you guys are going? We counted about 50 divers on one of their boats there last 4th of July. It was so packed that there was no way they could recover all those divers in a timely manner in the event of a diver emergency.

I've heard other people say good things about them here, but the crowds I saw on that boat exceeded the definition of 'cattle boat'.

cHEAPER IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER

philmottrek99and02:
If you want to join us, then send me a PM if you need specific deals. Do you have a dive buddy that you could also tempt?

UTdivermatt is one of my best buds (even with that avatar:)) ; he has kept me updated.

The PURPOSE of the mailing list, is so that it would make communication between everyone easier. Not everyone checks this forum daily, but most do check their email daily. I do not subscribe via email to threads, especially after the last thread received 600+ replied.

A mailing list would make life much easier for everyone. Ex. I've received several .doc files from dive ops with their info in it. It's a PITA to put them on this website, so why not have a mailing list to simply forward them to the list.

I'm irritated at this point...

On a funny note, Britney Spears is now bald :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom