Dixie Divers Memorial Day Weekend Trip to Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

utdivermatt:
Your all crazy. Havent you seen enough statues sunken in quarries?

Actually no and I'm quite sure I'm not going to this one either. At least not for quite sometime.

Michael

Ok ladies and gents, I've called my instructor buddy and have setup a weekend and what I consider to be damn good prices for PADI AOW + Nitrox. Class will be limited to 12 total people.

April 14-15 @ Alabama Blue Water Adventures - 5 specialties + Nitrox:
1) Deep
2) Navigation
3) Peak Performance Buoyancy
4) Night
5) Divers Choice (obviously we would all have to agree on the specialty)

PM me for pricing! Thanks!

denisegg:
That card "or piece of paper" as you say, says that someone in an official capacity signed off saying you were capable of doing that. They trust that instructor's ability to make that determination.

I know what the logic behind it is, but i think it is flawed logic, and frankly...stupid. Most programs allow new OW students to take AOW right after OW. Now tell me, who is more experienced, that diver (with his 13 dives under the watchful eyes of a "babysitter") or me, having made roughly 30+ dives in the past 2 years, exceeding depths of 80' and making 5-10 dives in cold low viz environments? Experience is the #1 teacher in my book, and I think that if they require anything, it should be a quick scan of the dive log. I dove with Panama City Dive Center last august on wrecks that were in 80fsw, and i was never asked to show AOW. Why it's different in the keys I don't know.

Oh, and PM sent Frank!

I agree again with Dawg (dang... this is twice or so (hard to believe as we know the movie wasnt true.... all dawgs go to hell)). I had a similar problem when planning my last trip down to the keys. I had no trouble when they saw my logbook. I am surprised this isnt a standard practice. I learned alot more in my logged dives at that point then I did my AOW class, which I breezed right through without straining myself. The logic sounds very flawed, and the system needs a good fix. What did they do for the time before AOW... isnt it a relatively new idea?

PM sent Dawg. I'm going to contact some other dive shops guys, to see if they allow alternate means of AOW. I'll keep you posted.

Dawg, please don't post that price to the public =) But tell your friends via PM.

Conch Republic - Charter the whole boat, $575 half day (6 hours) - As long as you've logged 25 dives, and have been to 80 feet at least once in the last 6 months, your game for deep wrecks.

More to come later...

Uhm, I say you folks cancel your reservations at whatever hotel your at and we dive and stay at Amoray Dive Resort. Check out these prices!

Double Room - 2Queen & 2Twin, $179 per night. (sleeps 6?)
Large Apartment - 2Queen & 4Twin, $259 per night. (sleeps 8?)

Diving w/ room, 6-9 divers - $35 per trip, 10-18 divers - $32 per trip.
Diving w/o room, 6-9 divers - $40 per trip, 10-18 divers - $35 per trip.

This place also gives a free trip to the 9th diver, so the prices would go down more. If we don't want to over crowd the rooms, if we book 3 to 5 rooms, we get a 10% discount on the room rates. We could charter the whole boat if we wanted for $1000 w/ hotel stay, or $1200 w/o. But that won't be worth while w/o 15+ people.

• Divers are required to have a BCD, submersible pressure gauge, timing device, alternate air source, depth gauge and snorkel as part of their dive gear. All divers must bring a recognized certification card and log book showing at least one dive in the last 12 months, or be under the direct supervision of an Instructor. For deep dives such as the Duane or the Spiegel Grove, divers must hold an advanced certification or the equivalent, or be able to show proof of four deep dives (70ft+) within the last 12 months, or be under the supervision of an instructor, and have dive computers. Spiegel Grove dives require an annual medallion, $10.00 per person. Equipment can be rented through Amoray.

• Group leaders must provide a complete room list along with a manifest of divers, snorkelers, and passengers 48 hours prior to arrival. Group leaders need to check in at least 1 hour before the scheduled departure time and have their group ready ½ hour before departure. Group leaders must obtain completed liability releases and verify certification cards of every group member prior to check-in. Releases can be sent and completed in advance. Group members that are staying at the resort must provide a credit card for authorization at check-in.

Here's a plan since no1 else has posted one:

Friday - Eat dinner, hang out, get to bed by 11:30pm.
Saturday - Dive 8am, Dive 1pm, Dive w/ Cristal Clear (free dive) night dive.
Sunday - Dive 8am, Dive 1pm, Have group dinner at restaurant of choice!
Monday - Hugs and goodbyes, we all head home!

I just got around to my computer today... Wow! I agree with dropping anything already booked (surely you can get deposits back this far in advance right?). That diving is amazingly cheap, and I doubt we can beat the room rate. That is looking at like $30 a night per person. So we are looking at around 160 a person for all the diving and lodging. That is one of the best deals I have seen for a trip like this. I am in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom