Dixie Divers Memorial Day Weekend Trip to Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seadoggirl:
Hey ya! I'm still in and the fifth wheel in Denise condo. Do we still have an extra place in our condo Denise?

Andy is on the couch. If one of these guys gets left out in the cold, we'll throw him a blanket on the floor:D

(Seriously, we are leaving it open in case someone needs it and so that they won't get left out)

Ok, just got an email from Cristal Clear, here's what they said:

Cristal Clear Charters:
Hi Frank,

It is a requirement that anybody diving deep beyond the OW depth of 60’ has been trained to dive to those depths. So I am assuming that you are not an instructor?! It is not the piece of paper necessarily it is the training, and proof of experience is just a piece of paper to us! We have no way of knowing how they reacted to those depths when someone just shows a logbook. They can however hire a guide if they feel comfortable diving to those depths. The price is $25.00 per person with a minimum of $50.00.

Each shop currently has one boat on it so they would be split at different shops. The furthest distance between shops is 10 miles so no one would have to go too far!

For dive sites boy there are so many!

Deep Wrecks: Spiegel Grove, Duane, Eagle, Bibb

Shallow wrecks: Benwood, City of Washington, Mike’s wreck

Shallow reefs: Molasses (31 sites here), French (several locations here too!), Davis, Conch wall, conch reef, Christ Statue, Mosquito Banks ,North North Dry Rocks, Hens and Chickens, Alligator reef

Just to name a few! Frank let me know if you have any more questions, or when you are ready to confirm this!

Thanks, Jaclyn

Then, I forwarded them the .doc that Denise posted in the last thread showing what sites Ocean Divers goes to, here's how she replied:

Cristal Clear Charters:
HI Frank,

Most of those we dive, there are a few that are not so common but with a request we could possibly take you anywhere!

That list is actually copied from www.florida-keys.fl.us/divesite.htm so they are just a list of all dive sites in Key Largo! You can see more info on that site.

Thanks, Jaclyn

I for one want to dive the Christ Statue, just because, well, it's the only thing from Key Largo that I've seen pictures of =)

frankc420:
I for one want to dive the Christ Statue, just because, well, it's the only thing from Key Largo that I've seen pictures of =)

I concur. I'd love to do that and get a picture of it with me beside it . Even if it's a crappy 30 dollar camera we have.

Michael

mwhities:
I concur. I'd love to do that and get a picture of it with me beside it . Even if it's a crappy 30 dollar camera we have.

Michael

Your all crazy. Havent you seen enough statues sunken in quarries?

frankc420:
Ok, just got an email from Cristal Clear, here's what they said:

Ughhh... tell them that MY OW training was for 120', i don't know what this PADI 60' crap is. I've been to depths of 90' several times. But, their boat, their rules... guess i'm gonna be trying to get AOW.

DawgDiver:
Ughhh... tell them that MY OW training was for 120', i don't know what this PADI 60' crap is. I've been to depths of 90' several times. But, their boat, their rules... guess i'm gonna be trying to get AOW.

hmmmm

Originally Posted by Cristal Clear Charters
Hi Frank,

It is a requirement that anybody diving deep beyond the OW depth of 60’ has been trained to dive to those depths. So I am assuming that you are not an instructor?! It is not the piece of paper necessarily it is the training, and proof of experience is just a piece of paper to us! We have no way of knowing how they reacted to those depths when someone just shows a logbook. They can however hire a guide if they feel comfortable diving to those depths. The price is $25.00 per person with a minimum of $50.00.

I've never had a boat pull that crap on me before (and get away with it).

I understand their worries, but the PADI AOW Card doesn't really qualify you for 'crap'. It just means you did one deep (60 to 90') dive with your instructor while doing your AOW class. It really means nothing.... Just "card collecting".

The above is just the boat trying to get another $50 minimum out of you.

DawgDiver:
Ughhh... guess i'm gonna be trying to get AOW.

Excuse me....but I think I tried to tell you guys you had to SHOW an AOW card to go on deep dives:) .....I've already been down there and didn't get to go, got advanced and did get to go. That card "or piece of paper" as you say, says that someone in an official capacity signed off saying you were capable of doing that. They trust that instructor's ability to make that determination.
It is just different there than around here. They are in to more resort divers or vacation divers and snorkelers. They have so many people coming through there diving they can actually afford to say no and get away with it.
There is alot of beautiful diving there without the wrecks though. There are even some shallow wrecks you can go on that you don't have to be AOW. Key Largo is known for the reefs anyway and they are shallow diving. The reefs are amazing. The brilliant colors, coral and fish are fascinating. And the Christ of the Deep Statue is a must see. It has brilliant fire coral growing on it. Look but don't touch. ouch...
If you have never been to the Keys, don't let not being AOW stop you. I assure you there is plenty to see and you won't be disappointed. As much as I love wrecks, a wreck is a wreck, but the reefs at the Keys are like none you can see around here.

The end of May is a long time away. Plenty of time for those without an AOW to get one. I think the wrecks are the must-see in Key Largo. The Grove is amazing to see. Even the shallower wrecks are nice, such as the Benwood. The coral is alright, but I really think there was more life when I was there on the Benwood than of the reefs I have seen. I am dying to see the Duane and Bibb, as well as the other deeper wrecks while there.

Back
Top Bottom