Dixie Divers Memorial Day Weekend Trip to Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like Dawg's schedule less the Saturday night dive. I am not interested in a night dive.
Frank, would you check with Cristal Charters and see if those interested in a night dive can do it on Saturday night as their free dive?

And if we go with Dawg's schedule, the non AOW divers can do the alternate reef dives Saturday am and Sunday pm.

This would be 4 paying dives each. Sounds like a good plan.:)

The Benwood is about a 300+ foot freighter that sunk during WWII.

they used it for target practice later and also EOD blew off the wheelhouse, etc so it wouldnt' stick up out of the water. most of the hull and decks are still there, but lots of holes in them, which allows for a lot of fish/reef life. The coral growth on the ship is great. lots of tiny fans to take pics of. lots of fish to take pics of.

here's what she looked like before and the sinking. All the upper structure above the deck has been removed.
benwood.jpg

benwood2.jpg

Today, like this
bwdbenwoodbow.gif

bwdbenwoodgoatdiver.gif

benwoodsm.jpg

DawgDiver:
Okay I think this is what I would like to do.

Saturday

AM: Spiegel Grove, Captains choice

1:00pm Fire coral caves, Pillar coral

Saturday Night: Night dive with Cristal Clear charters with those interested

Sunday

AM: Eagle Ray Alley, Fire coral caves

1pm: USCGC Duane, Molasses reef

but I'd pretty much rather do whichever itinerary everyone else does.

Edited, forgot about cristal clear.

I like Dawgs schedule with the exception of Sunday morning. If we are going to do any dive site twice, I would much rather it be the Grove then the Fire Caves. I would really be interested in seeing if we did both morning dives on the Grove, if one of the second dives could be on the Bibb. It is on its side, and a very impressive dive from what I have heard. It is deep, but sounds well worth it.

Also, what is the deal with Nitrox on these trips? Is there an extra fee, and if so how much?

utdivermatt:
I like Dawgs schedule with the exception of Sunday morning. If we are going to do any dive site twice, I would much rather it be the Grove then the Fire Caves. I would really be interested in seeing if we did both morning dives on the Grove, if one of the second dives could be on the Bibb. It is on its side, and a very impressive dive from what I have heard. It is deep, but sounds well worth it.

Also, what is the deal with Nitrox on these trips? Is there an extra fee, and if so how much?

You can substitute the Spiegel Grove on Sunday morning without any problem. If their are two boats to choose from going out at one time, all we have to do is tell them how many want to be on each boat and they will save those spots for us and we still get the discount for the 10 divers even if they are on separate boats. The second dive after the Spiegel Grove is the Benwood unless conditions prohibit.

* All Charters include:
- tanks (air) and weights

$6 per tank upgrade fee for Nitrox

denisegg:
$6 per tank upgrade fee for Nitrox
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[/INDENT]

Thats a good deal. Quiessence charged us full price for Nitrox rental tanks on top of our charter that came with air tanks. I think it was $10 to $14 extra per tank (per day).

Free dive w/ Cristal isn't in effect the weekend we're going.

frankc420:
Free dive w/ Cristal isn't in effect the weekend we're going.

What is so crazy is.....in the initial planning of this trip, that is the reason MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND (when lodging prices are jacked up) was chosen in the first place.....because Cristal Charter's FREE DIVE had to be done by the end of May.....:shakehead

(and no Frank...it was not my idea):no

Back
Top Bottom