Diving with strangers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelpmermaid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The thread about where and when are you diving next made me think about this issue. Most of the time, I dive with someone I know whose skill level I know. Shortly, I'll be on vacation in Florida and hope to get a dive trip in, but I'll be on my own. Is there a polite way to interrogate prospective buddies on a dive boat? How do others handle this diving with strangers thing?

When lumped together with other unknown divers, like on a course or a dive boat, I watch other divers put their gear together. The ones who know what they are doing topside generally know what they are doing underwater. Divers who look at their regulator and then their tank trying to figure out which way it goes on are best left to the dive master or dive guide if you don't want to have to deal with an inexperienced buddy on that particular dive.

On the other hand (from a guy's point of view), I'd rather dive with an less experienced female diver I don't know than another perhaps more experienced guy that I don't know, as female divers tend to be less encumbered with macho ego issues, so you don't have to deal with any of that competitive crap. As a female diver you also might find diving with another female over a guy a more positive experience, lest you get a guy who feels the need to take over the dive on you.

My 2c

Ben

It always makes me nervous diving with strangers, but I usually just try to figure out who else is diving alone, and get to know as much as possible about their experience through conversation. It's sort of hit and miss though, I've had both great experiences diving with strangers, and other experiences that made me wish I'd gone/started solo.

No one in my family dives, so until I can get some of them diving, I will always be teamed up with a stranger. At least on vacation dives. Im a new diver, but a competant one. I suppose a stranger may not want to dive with me just because I havent a wealth of experience yet. Thats fine with me. I dove with some people last weekend who have been diving for years, and they knew less than I do!! I agree with Bengiddins.....you can probably tell by watching divers gear up. Chances are however that you may not have a choice. There may be only 2 solo's on a dive boat which mean those two get put together.

Ive really got to work on some of my family members and get them diving!!

This method may not be popular but when I find myself in that situation I generally try to stay under the divemaster's radar and not mention the fact that I have no buddy. This generally results in me diving solo.

Before everyone boos and hisses, I learned a long time ago that an instructor without a buddy will almost always get assigned to the individual on the boat who is the least capable of making the dive. It's like a free babysitting service.........

Tom

I can understand the issue but don't really have the problem. When diving for fun I (almost) always know those I am diving with. As an instructor I am used to taking care of others with noone to take care of me. This is one reason for some of my teaching methods. The more competent my students are the better buddy I have. I would not allow a DM to team me up with whoever he wanted. I understand the concerns of the DM but I don't care to help do his job on my time off without pay. This is not to say that on the right dive I wouldn't willingly buddy with an inexperienced diver. On a thirty foot reef dive I would be more concerned with attitude than experience. In some cases this might mean not diving. It would seem a good idea to have these things worked out before getting on the boat. I instruct my students to get to know as much about their prospective buddy as they can. Simply ask questions. There is no need to be shy or sneaky here...ask. Be polite and good natured but ask. I wouldn't have a problem asking to see someones log. How thorough I would be would be would depend on the dive.

I. also, am the only diver in my family and so am always buddied on the boat. In some instances, the DM has assigned buddies, in some, they've asked if I'd mind diving with someone. In some cases, we've all been asked to dive as a group and in some the DM has simply said, "everyone in the pool, don't get lost."
It's hard to know topside just who you're diving with and what their abilities are.

Originally posted by kelpmermaid
The thread about where and when are you diving next made me think about this issue. Most of the time, I dive with someone I know whose skill level I know. Shortly, I'll be on vacation in Florida and hope to get a dive trip in, but I'll be on my own. Is there a polite way to interrogate prospective buddies on a dive boat? How do others handle this diving with strangers thing?

From the experiences I have had with buddying up with a stranger, I see nothing wrong with having a very long discussion (interrogation) with the person prior to agreeing to be a buddy. Several have been good divers and in talking before the dive I had a good impression. I have refused to dive with a couple due to my conversation (they did not plan the dive, no predive check on equipment, etc). Also had one that was on the boat drunk!!!! No diving with that one. (I dove solo) So be picky, ask all the questions you want and if they have a problem with your questions, ask to be partnered with someone else. Remember you are paying for this pleasure and your safety is important.

When will you be heading this way and where are you diving? There are lots of Florida folks on the board and some of us would be happy to dive with you (or anyone else from the board) when you're here. Feel free to send a PM if you're interested in setting up your buddies ahead of time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom