Diving off of your own boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just an update - We logged 14 dives, in four days off the boat. We also dove it again this weekend, with 5 divers total. I have been learning the ins and outs of live-boating, as well as the finer points of wreck anchoring. Things have been going quite well. Thanks to the members that are helping make this possible!

Frank

Just read someone posted "Anchored right on.." I never realized how many boaters did not know the proper way to anchor up. While I am NOT a Master Captian by any means I'd point out to others the anchor is set way upcurrent from your target. You then let out line (scope) to your target. The other option is obviously a skilled diver takes a line down and attaches to the wreck with chain.

I have seen others speificially at Aquazoo about to throw a Danforth onto divers. This brings up another point.. you do not throw anchors. You DROP anchors. This also goes along with the up current of your target idea...

Just FYI for newbie boaters who might read this.

While I am NOT a Master Captian by any means I'd point out to others the anchor is set way upcurrent from your target. You then let out line (scope) to your target. The other option is obviously a skilled diver takes a line down and attaches to the wreck with chain.

You DROP anchors. This also goes along with the up current of your target idea...

Just FYI for newbie boaters who might read this.

??? I don't refer to myself as a Master Captain either, but in the 250 plus wreck dives I have under my belt as the Captain of the boat, the idea has always been to get the anchor dropped as CLOSE as possible to the wreck. Doing anything else is just a recepie for divers getting lost and not making it back to the boat.

If your anchor is way up current from the wreck, how do you get back to it to ascend the anchor line... assuming you can even see the thing if the vis is not perfect. I am going to make an assumption here that you simply ascend off the wreck and "hope" you catch the scoped line somewhere above you?... thats assuming the current or wind has not shifted direction since you have been down.

when I drop anchor, if I am not 100 percent certain the anchor is on or within sight of the wreck, I take a large spool down with me. If I missed the wreck, I will attach the spool to the anchor and scooter into the current. Once the wreck if found, the spool is attached to a noticable part of the wreck. Bottom line is, FIRST prioroty is to ALWAYS know EXACTLY where the anchor is and to be able to make it back there. If you do that, you will NEVER need anyone on the boat to come rescue you.

Having personal experience now, I agree with Pensacolaracer on this. When you drop anchor the closer to the wreck the better. Have a very heavy anchor, with at least 20 ft of heavy chain. And PLENTY of scope. If you have a windlass, and its not a free drop model, you need to pull off lots of line and open the spool on the windlass to simulate a free drop. The faster you can get that anchor to the bottom the better. The other day, our GPS showed our position 200' away from the wreck we were diving. When we descended down the anchor line, the anchor was resting on the top deck of the wreck. This is why I say you need plenty of scope. First diver down the line's priority at this point is move the anchor into the sand and bury it. We have yet to land squarely on the target, or get lost going to any wreck. Its also MOST important that you know how to use your GPS and depth finder. You need to REALLY know how to use them, otherwise you will have very disappointed divers, and frustrating times. I just graduated from several weeks at Pensacola Racer's Dive Boat School, and I can tell you these were my primary take-aways. Almost forgot one last one, ALWAYS ascend and descend on the line. Even if you have a scooter.

Haha. Smart ass. Next time, I will make sure to drop you in dog crap vis about 150 feet away from the wreck with a moderate current. Should be a good test of your navigational skills.

What I lack in navigation skills is compensated with LiPo power. I can ride around all day looking for the wreck! How is that NiMH treating you these days?

What I lack in navigation skills is compensated with LiPo power. I can ride around all day looking for the wreck! How is that NiMH treating you these days?

Well, I gotta say, the NiMh combined with 225 horses of Yamaha power seem to get me just about anywhere I need to go.

You just might get to ride around all day looking for the wreck next time... my anchoring skills might be a "bit off" that day. :mooner:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom