Diving near Waco?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chenry:
Hello,

I was hoping you Texas divers could help me out with a few questions. I will be working in Waco for approx 1 month starting next week. I would like to take my dive gear and get some diving in on the weekends if I can. I'm not really sure of any dive spots within driving distance of Waco, I have probably just not found the right resources yet. Texas is a big state. I plan on finding a LDS and asking them when I get there, but you guys can probably give me some info before I go. I am new to diving and have new gear which I need to get accustomed to, so I am looking for easy relaxing dives to work on my buoyancy issues, and air consumption rate. I wil most likely try to hook up with an LDS to go diving with if that is an option.

Also, I'm coming from Indiana, and I'm not sure what kind of exposure protection I would need in Texas lakes/quarrys. I have full 7mm gear, farmer john, gloves, boots, hood. Is that too much, or do you think it will be ok for thermoclines? I'm pretty sure I won't have time to go to the gulf coast.

Thanks
Chris

7mm is TOOOO much unles you want to wait till December in Cen TX. 3mm or less is all that is needed unless you want to go deep. Link is to Lk Travis conditions but Stillhouse and Whitney are just a bit cooler.
http://wwwext.arlut.utexas.edu/omg/weather.html

Stillhouse is an easy dive that doesn't get too boring untill you have done it a few times. If you would like to give it a shot, I live fairly close to there and might need to get wet the last W/E in July or first W/E in Aug.

Back
Top Bottom