Diving near Duke U?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abitton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello y'all :)D)

I'll be at Duke U for the MBA rugby world championships in April. I just thought... Hey! Maybe I could squeeze in some diving?!?!?!

Are there any decent sites around there? Since I think the team will be traveling by bus, I may have some issues for transportation, although I can probably rent a car if required...

Looking forward to see what you recommend!!

Thanks!

Alex

Hi Alex,
There are several possibilities. There are 3 quarries within a 2 hr drive of Duke, Lake Rawlings being the most distant and IMO the best of the 3. The closest would be Rolesville quarry, about an hour. You could also head to the coast, Morehead City is about 3 1/2- 4 hr drive and Wilmington is about a 3 hr drive. If you decide to dive while in the area, come over to the NC board and check around. It's very likely you can find a local buddy if you care to have a local along.
www.ncdivers.com
If you need to rent gear, there is a shop in Durham maybe 5-6 miles from Duke and 2 great shops in Raleigh, both more or less on your way to the coast from Durham.

And I'm sure if you let some of us know when you are going to be there enough cars would pop up to do carpooling as several divers live very close to Duke and some even work for Duke.

P

yep, i'll drive.

where are we going again? :)

Wow! All this Southern hospitality, and I'm still 1000 miles away!!!!

I'm really looking forward to this!!!

Alex

IT'S A TRAP....IT'S A TRAP !!!!!! Y'all be good hear???

he's lying, alex. he does that. :wink:

Hey, I don't worry 'bout no traps with you Southerners...

Please bear in mind we are the only country to have beaten you guys fair and square in a war (1812)... I can defend myself!!! :D

I'll call on our military... uh... ok... My Mom then!!

:wink:

On a more serious note, what kind of exposure protection would be appropriate at that time of the year?

Alex

well, our april ocean dive was blown out, but i was gonna do it in a 3mil john & jacket & hood. i'll let you know how that get up is in similar temps after this weekend, since i'm going tomorrow! yay!

Back
Top Bottom