Diving in the year 2025 and 2050

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
well, it's not there yet, that's for sure

but who knows... if they can ever get it small enough and at the same time able to
produce enough O2 during a high-demand period of activity, then ... who can say?

but i wouldn't hold my breath

Thats a good idea, holding your breath might give you an embolism :14:

mike_s:
remember that 20 years ago in diving....
  • Nitrox was not an option for us.
  • Dive Computer? what is that?

Nitrox was introduced to sport divers in 1986. There wasn't any benefit to me because I was diving a computer and there were no nitrox computers.

I don't know about you guys but I plan to dive the Titanic in 2050....with a 3 hour bottom time.

:D

SparticleBrane:
I don't know about you guys but I plan to dive the Titanic in 2050....with a 3 hour bottom time.

:D

That's interesting.....

You gonna use a huge sets of doubles or an rebreather equipped with an oxygenator ?

just how much deco time would that require?

Well let's see--
The Titanic sits in approx. 12,000fsw.

That's 364.6ata, and at my average SAC of ~0.5cf/min, that's 182.3cf/min.
182.3cf/min 60 mins/hr * 3hr = 32,814cf of gas.
If I wanted to have a ppO2 of 1.0, I'd have to have 0.002747% O2 in the mix.
Another interesting note is that I'd have to have some pretty strong tanks, as 364.6ata * 14.7psi/ata = 5359.62psi pressing on the outside of the tanks.

Now I know that Duke has 190,000cf worth of air tanks sitting outside their hyperbaric facility; I figured I could just throw those on my back and head right on down. :D :D

Hopefully transportation to the worlds best dive sites increases especially for those of us who are land locked.

Although increased visits from tourist will mean murkier and more polluted waters all over the world.

SparticleBrane:
Well let's see--

Another interesting note is that I'd have to have some pretty strong tanks, as 364.6ata * 14.7psi/ata = 5359.62psi pressing on the outside of the tanks.

I've seen these numbers too. But I still think it is technically posible, Maybe. But it might be that the density of the gas is such that your lungs are not strong enough to pull the thick gas in and push it out again. You'd be on almost pure He too. What is the effect of high PP of Helium? Is it narcotic or toxic I doubt anyone has done tests at 300 bar?

What you'd need of course is a very hight tech rebreather. Then you would only need to cary as much O2 as you would metabolize durring the dive. 80 cu ft would last a long time
The rebreather would adjust the gas mix as you desend and ascend so that PP02 remains at a constant 0.21 (or whatever) and would add He as required. The trrouble is the insane deco obligation. Comming up from 12,000fsw would likely take weeks. I don't think doing a week long deco in water is possable as you would need to sleep and eat, you would need to get dry in at least a diving bell. that is hoisted at a inch or two per minute.

SparticleBrane:
Well let's see--

Now I know that Duke has 190,000cf worth of air tanks sitting outside their hyperbaric facility; I figured I could just throw those on my back and head right on down. :D :D

A fart in your wetsuit at that depth/pressure could escalate into a full scale cause of a tidal wave by the time it reaches the surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom