Diving Compressor Bristol 4s.7.40

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Rik Lemmens
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hello, I'm new, I'm not a diver, but I'm not a paintball shooter either. I searched and found a high-pressure compressor, I collect historical combustion engines. One of these engines is a very early Diesel Engine, it needs 80 Bar of compressed air to blow in the fuel, which is why I purchased the diving compressor. It's an old Bristol 4S.7.40, an engineering marvel, I would like to treat this well, and above all not do anything wrong. The engine has a three-stage compressor, but I'm going to use that extra compressor as a backup Now comes my question: is there anyone who can help me with a manual for this compressor? Thank you in advance and best regards from the Netherlands Rik

Attachments

• DSCF1449.jpg
    DSCF1449.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCF1458.jpg
    DSCF1458.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 99
I have a Bristol 4S-7-40. Recently the oil cap has broken its threads. I was able to get the remainder out and now the cap just catches and holds on one thread, but I would like to replace with a new one. Are these still available or someone might have a second hand one lying about. Also, on the cap it says "FILL TO TOP" and unsure exactly where TOP is. Thanks
Bruce

Attachments

• IMG20240609121517.jpg
    IMG20240609121517.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG20240609121500.jpg
    IMG20240609121500.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 14
The oil must be up to the bottom of the thread.I fill til i cant get any more in,right up to the top.
Yes i have spare filler caps but i am not back to my workshop till september.
If you go to your local hydraulic shop they can get you a blank its BSP thread [think it 1"]
You must NOT use a vented blanking cap.

The oil must be up to the bottom of the thread.I fill til i cant get any more in,right up to the top.
Yes i have spare filler caps but i am not back to my workshop till september.
If you go to your local hydraulic shop they can get you a blank its BSP thread [think it 1"]
You must NOT use a vented blanking cap.
Hi
OK. Got it. In that case my compressor was running with low oil. I could see clear oil in the hole but definitely not to the top. Nice to hear that the cap is available but will try your suggestion in getting a blank/end plug now that I know the size and thread type locally. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom