Bauer Oceanus Suitability?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
M

Mr. Biggs

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Long time reader first time poster.

I’m considering the purchase of a Bauer Oceanus and had some questions on its suitability, long-term use, and maintenance.

The compressor would be for personal use long term over say the next 20 years. My cylinder of preference is the HP100 (12.9 liters) 3442psi (230 bar). Would look at filling 7 or 8 for a weekend of diving. Not expecting this compressor to run much over 30 – 60 hours a year.

Was looking at starting with manual condensate drains, filling singles. Later updating to auto drains and banking EAN 36% with the use of a nitrox stick into max 4500 psi (310 bar) tanks.

I’m going with the assumption that I would need to order the 330 bar option. Is an adapter available for this to yoke fitting?

From what information that I have read from Bauer this compress is not rated for Nitrox use. Looking for more information from others on actual real-world use.

Would Seco lube Synthetic, type 500 Diester synthetic, from Lawrence factor and the Bauer 059183 filter cartridge be the correct combination?

How much does running Nitrox shorten filter and compressor life?

My filling season generally would be March-October.

My plan was to do an oil and filter change at the begin of this season. Running the compressor at least monthly during this time period fallowed by a winterization for the off season.

On a monthly run if the air is not needed how long should the compressor be run for and is it suitable to run it without being attached to tanks?

From my understanding Bauer suggests a 500 hour kit annually and 1000 hour every other year?

This looks to be extremally excessive in this usage or am I mistaken? Thinking that it might take 10 years or more to hit 500 hours run time.

Suitability of bulk storage and banking.

From my understanding Bauer rates this compressor for filling 2 bulk tanks. If what I’m thinking is correct this is a 3 to 4 hour runtime. Is it capable of longer runtimes for larger banks or will this greatly shorten its life? What type of run, rest times should I practically be looking at for best practices?

Thanks,
Mr. Biggs

Nitrox won't really change the life of the compressor at all so I wouldn't worry about it. I would look at whether you really need Nitrox 2 or if you can get away with Nitrox 1, but that's a different discussion.
I would not recommend using an Oceanus to fill bank bottles, though you can still stick blend directly into the tanks. It says it can fill 1-2, but you are bumping up against heat and it's really not an ideal pump for filling big banks. You would need a really big bank to handle 7-8 HP100's. The cascade bottle statement is meant for fire departments and what not that would use it to top off the SCBA cascade and don't usually run the compressor when they're filling the scba bottles, it's not meant for filling big tanks and cascades. If your priority is to fill a cascade system you will be better suited finding a used K14 or going to another pump that is actually continuous duty rated.

Their recommendation on service intervals is going to be based on more frequent use than yours and I wouldn't personally do the 500hr kit annually, but if it affects warranty on a new unit it may be worth it. PRobably do it every 4-5yrs with your use case.

Nitrox won't really change the life of the compressor at all so I wouldn't worry about it. I would look at whether you really need Nitrox 2 or if you can get away with Nitrox 1, but that's a different discussion.
I would not recommend using an Oceanus to fill bank bottles, though you can still stick blend directly into the tanks. It says it can fill 1-2, but you are bumping up against heat and it's really not an ideal pump for filling big banks. You would need a really big bank to handle 7-8 HP100's. The cascade bottle statement is meant for fire departments and what not that would use it to top off the SCBA cascade and don't usually run the compressor when they're filling the scba bottles, it's not meant for filling big tanks and cascades. If your priority is to fill a cascade system you will be better suited finding a used K14 or going to another pump that is actually continuous duty rated.

Their recommendation on service intervals is going to be based on more frequent use than yours and I wouldn't personally do the 500hr kit annually, but if it affects warranty on a new unit it may be worth it. PRobably do it every 4-5yrs with your use case.

I am curious why you'd have reservations on filling some storage bottles? If heat is an issue, does it not have adequate cooling?

My understanding is that the Oceanus has an larger oil sump (stays cooler longer), and an oil pump for good circulation, in addition to a cooling fan. If it's operated in the correct environmental conditions (cool location with plenty of ventilation) what would be the problem? I'm genuinely curious. Is it more of a cautious 'i'd rather not subject the compressor to that', or is it a "you're going to break it if you do that" situation.

I am curious why you'd have reservations on filling some storage bottles? If heat is an issue, does it not have adequate cooling?

My understanding is that the Oceanus has an larger oil sump (stays cooler longer), and an oil pump for good circulation, in addition to a cooling fan. If it's operated in the correct environmental conditions (cool location with plenty of ventilation) what would be the problem? I'm genuinely curious. Is it more of a cautious 'i'd rather not subject the compressor to that', or is it a "you're going to break it if you do that" situation.
It's not designed for continuous duty and does not have adequate cooling to handle continuous duty running of multiple bank bottles. 1-2 is probably not a big issue, but they really just aren't built to run continuously. I don't know any Bauer tech that would recommend using it to fill even 1-2 banks due to excessive wear. For home use with 1-2 banks, probably not that big of a deal but for the 7-8x hp100's you're going to need a good sized bank to make it worthwhile *at least 4, if not 6-8 with a pump that small* and it definitely can't handle that for any length of time.

If you buy a new machine, filling bank bottles will void the warranty during the warranty period, if you care about that.
Wow, it says right in their website it's good for 1-2. I don't see where it says that voids the warranty. I Wonder then why they put it on their website?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha and when was the last time you had the bauer guy over for dinner

And then there's mr big that wants answers to the questions of the universe, and too busy to come back

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Late seeing this. I have some actual experience with this one.
Nothing but good results, over a decade on it...
Bought it used with what we think is approx 500hrs on it (important: synth lube from day one if pumping trox)
3x 4500psi bank cylinders, some added 2400s out back.
Fill HP 120s, mucho LP85 Worthingtons etc.
Run a lot of 32% thru it.
It has a true oil pump vs spash setup so can run a higher duty cycle whithin reason (which I have probably abused).
Have extra stick with plumbing for helium when needed.
Years ago Wayne @ Amigos recommended Chemlube 751, been running it ever since with good results.

This is an extremely manual rig, pour a glass of wine and watch...
For o2 pumping I set it up with a contactor for start, stop so that if power fails it won't automatically restart. Also put a solenoid wired from the switchbox so should power fail the o2 flow will stop. In summary, to prevent: you walk away to top off your wine, power blinks, 100% o2 is still flowing into the stick, power comes back then you make the local news :wink:

Best money I ever spent.

Side Note: It is getting up there age and I would like to break the heads down clean and/or replace valves. I am having a hard time finding torque specs for the head bolts, etc. Any info would be appreciated. I tend to break bolts...

Attachments

• 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 94
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 94
Would like to add that I have a laser thermometer and check the heads out of curiosity. Im kinda anal. Anyway, it starts cool and gets hot, once up and running the temp stays stable for as long as want to run it. I do try to be diligent and not fill banks on super humid hot days. Banks or 8 AL80s whats the diff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom