Bauer Oceanus Suitability?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
M

Mr. Biggs

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Long time reader first time poster.

I’m considering the purchase of a Bauer Oceanus and had some questions on its suitability, long-term use, and maintenance.

The compressor would be for personal use long term over say the next 20 years. My cylinder of preference is the HP100 (12.9 liters) 3442psi (230 bar). Would look at filling 7 or 8 for a weekend of diving. Not expecting this compressor to run much over 30 – 60 hours a year.

Was looking at starting with manual condensate drains, filling singles. Later updating to auto drains and banking EAN 36% with the use of a nitrox stick into max 4500 psi (310 bar) tanks.

I’m going with the assumption that I would need to order the 330 bar option. Is an adapter available for this to yoke fitting?

From what information that I have read from Bauer this compress is not rated for Nitrox use. Looking for more information from others on actual real-world use.

Would Seco lube Synthetic, type 500 Diester synthetic, from Lawrence factor and the Bauer 059183 filter cartridge be the correct combination?

How much does running Nitrox shorten filter and compressor life?

My filling season generally would be March-October.

My plan was to do an oil and filter change at the begin of this season. Running the compressor at least monthly during this time period fallowed by a winterization for the off season.

On a monthly run if the air is not needed how long should the compressor be run for and is it suitable to run it without being attached to tanks?

From my understanding Bauer suggests a 500 hour kit annually and 1000 hour every other year?

This looks to be extremally excessive in this usage or am I mistaken? Thinking that it might take 10 years or more to hit 500 hours run time.

Suitability of bulk storage and banking.

From my understanding Bauer rates this compressor for filling 2 bulk tanks. If what I’m thinking is correct this is a 3 to 4 hour runtime. Is it capable of longer runtimes for larger banks or will this greatly shorten its life? What type of run, rest times should I practically be looking at for best practices?

Thanks,
Mr. Biggs

Late seeing this. I have some actual experience with this one.
Nothing but good results, over a decade on it...
Bought it used with what we think is approx 500hrs on it (important: synth lube from day one if pumping trox)
3x 4500psi bank cylinders, some added 2400s out back.
Fill HP 120s, mucho LP85 Worthingtons etc.
Run a lot of 32% thru it.
It has a true oil pump vs spash setup so can run a higher duty cycle whithin reason (which I have probably abused).
Have extra stick with plumbing for helium when needed.
Years ago Wayne @ Amigos recommended Chemlube 751, been running it ever since with good results.

This is an extremely manual rig, pour a glass of wine and watch...
For o2 pumping I set it up with a contactor for start, stop so that if power fails it won't automatically restart. Also put a solenoid wired from the switchbox so should power fail the o2 flow will stop. In summary, to prevent: you walk away to top off your wine, power blinks, 100% o2 is still flowing into the stick, power comes back then you make the local news :wink:

Best money I ever spent.

Side Note: It is getting up there age and I would like to break the heads down clean and/or replace valves. I am having a hard time finding torque specs for the head bolts, etc. Any info would be appreciated. I tend to break bolts...
Hey,

No experience with Oceanus but I do have some with other Bauer. Best compressors I know and I would be very surprised if the Oceanus was to be stopped once in a while to cool down.

Filling banks rather than tanks generally tend to prolonging compressor life and to have better air quality (start and stop are the worst). Filling bank voiding the warranty ??!?!!?? Cannot see that happening anywhere.

Maintenance to be done on actual use. If you used it 500hrs, do the 500hrs maintenance. That's it.

@Scubadude_LA : one of the good thing about Bauer is that they actually provide long term support. Just send them an email to their office in Germany, they will send you all the doc, with torque

Ah Ha! Never thought of contacting them direct, thx. I will and will report back. Nice to know they support the end user :wink:

The oceanus is also lite for the cfm if that is an issue. it is compact and light. little pricey though Not a brand centric type, just real world experience which is wht the OP wanted.

Lets go dive

Would like to add that I have a laser thermometer and check the heads out of curiosity. Im kinda anal. Anyway, it starts cool and gets hot, once up and running the temp stays stable for as long as want to run it. I do try to be diligent and not fill banks on super humid hot days. Banks or 8 AL80s whats the diff.

For the pump it's actually a huge difference. While the total run hours and total CF may be the same, the cyclical nature of pumping tank after tank and allowing the pump to get down to the PMV pressure does put less wear on it. With the banks you definitely want to fill them one at a time as well for the same reason. The heads may not get any hotter but letting it drop back down to the lower pressure is better for it.

@Etmutt if the compressor is not rated for continuous duty or for filling banks and you are doing just that then they have every right to void the warranty on it. The Junior specifically says it's not rated or designed to do any storage bottles and the Oceanus states it's rated and warrantied for 2. If you go outside of those bounds then that's on you.

For the pump it's actually a huge difference. While the total run hours and total CF may be the same, the cyclical nature of pumping tank after tank and allowing the pump to get down to the PMV pressure does put less wear on it. With the banks you definitely want to fill them one at a time as well for the same reason. The heads may not get any hotter but letting it drop back down to the lower pressure is better for it.

@Etmutt if the compressor is not rated for continuous duty or for filling banks and you are doing just that then they have every right to void the warranty on it. The Junior specifically says it's not rated or designed to do any storage bottles and the Oceanus states it's rated and warrantied for 2. If you go outside of those bounds then that's on you.
🤔 interesting, I never worked with the junior, but given it is their smallest....

I went through the operating manual of the Oceanus though and found no mention of non continuous use recommandations, so i think he should be fine.
Actually, they state that the compressor shouldn't be stopped more than 10min at a time between the fillings, to.avoid Co2 accumulation.

1658244950534.png

I would compare pricing between the Bauer and an Alkin 31 for your usage. I’m filling a bank bottle and multiple sets of doubles with mine and it’s a great compressor so far. Good support, rated for continuous duty, right around 4 cfm output. It’s quiet and dead simple to work on.

Looking at this again, been a minute since last log on.
What tbone said is sensible on running up the banks. I don't have a manifold setup so always one storage tank only per fill if banking.
From a bank standpoint I will add this:
- current bank is 3-4500s, 4 2400s ( or is it 2200s whatever), the rest is helium storage. 1 2400 is air only, the rest is trox. Then there is 02 storage which is separate.
- I have been running the setup for a while and actually prefer not to bank so much. Actually I use the ole garbage bag booster more than the banks now to scavenge (compressing dry air already filtered. Maybe some compressor contaminants too???). The one thing I like about the banks now is I can rent a bottle of aviator for a weekend and transfill o2 to whatever storage will take it, then fill whatever scuba tanks need filling with trox, then just run 32 into the banks to use up the bottle and return the empty bottle next week for minimal rent.
- No Oxy booster yet :(. One day. Electric only if I do.

Post any developments on the subject :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom