Diving around Cape Kumukahi & Kapoho

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jedah

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been reading Mike Severn's Diving Hawaii book (great book so far) in preparation for our Hawaii dive trip, and he seems to like diving around Cape Kumukahi and Kapoho in Puna (Big Island).

It sounds like it's rough diving, accessible only by boat from Hilo, and very dependent on weather conditions, but in exchange you get to encounter big pelagics - he lists hammerheads, giant ulua (jacks), barracuda, mahi-mahi, soldierfish, peacock groupers, viper morays, et al....

Out of curiosity, has anybody dived around there? Your impression of the dive sites?? Best time to go for better weather??

We'll be diving in Kona this time, but if this is true, it sounds like a good place to go for a little adrenaline rush on a second visit to the Big Island!!

Thanks!

J.

Kapoho itself is good for snorkeling in the tide pools, but diving, I would not think so unless you have a boat.

A good dive site in that area is Poihiki, which is a boat ramp, its just a little bit iffy there since there is a lot of boat traffic, make sure you dono't surface unless it is a must and get a rundown of the area from a local diver. Its a great dive, but not for newbies cause of all the boats in the area.

The only dive shop on the east side of the island is Nautilus Dive Center which is in hilo. There are no dive boats on the east side of the island. If you are just visiting I would not recommend diving hilo-side, just dive kona-side, its better anyway.

Btw, Nautilus Dive Center will be close May 2nd-18th so if you are coming during that tiem, make sure to get your fills on the other side before you come over.

If you are interested in diving around puna, there is an independent that lives in Pahoa that could probably take you to more advanced spots if you have the skills. his number is 808-965-7840.

Also, that book, Dive Hawaii, its a good book, but some of the places they list are somewhat outdated and not used as much anymore for one reason or another. it is also mostly for boat diving

Thanks guys,

I was just looking for some local views. We are sticking to Kona on this trip. I'll keep the phone # for our next trip to Hawaii!

J.

Cape Kumukahi has the strongs currents I ever incountered diving. I dove that area
from shore and from boat. At times the only way I made it back was to pull my self
along the bottom. Even on what looks to be a calm day[which are rare] the current
can be ripping. Cape K is the most eastern point of the Big Is. it cuts in to the prevailing trade current from the N.E..Splitting the current into N.W. and S.W. directions.Indoing so it creates eddies [circle currents] which are unpredictable in strength and direction. At times going directly off shore. Yea I do dive tours on that side of the Is. but I won`t take anyone diving at Cape Kumukahi.
Philip E.Hi.Divers

jedah:
Thanks guys,

I was just looking for some local views. We are sticking to Kona on this trip. I'll keep the phone # for our next trip to Hawaii!

J.
The Cape K. area has some very great diving,all the way to South Point and when I was younger attending Hilo U. in the early 70s,I had the good fortune of diving there many times with Hawaii's most experienced spearfisherman at the time-it was one of my favorite wild dives-big fish and eels,clear water and beautiful coral pennacles and caves-but very strong currents and very difficult entry and exits-only for the very experienced and strong swimmers/strong of heart. Much easier to dive by boat-though it can be rough and you still have to watch the currents closely-we usually had a boat follow our bubbles when we dove there. The area is likely still very pristine and I doubt many have dove there yet...peace...Saildiver.

Back
Top Bottom