Diving april 6th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divinginn

Contributor
Reaction score
I plan on doing some diving sat the 6th,have been dry too long,am taking the boat out,weather permitting,will probably dive along the dam. anyone want to go let me know.

I plan on doing some diving sat the 6th,have been dry too long,am taking the boat out,weather permitting,will probably dive along the dam. anyone want to go let me know.

hey mark

I was planning on going to Pelham on Sunday, why not come along?

Lets go,I have never been there. I might need you to help me get my doubles squared away,I have them set up but could probably use some pointers,just got a miflex long hose in the mail from scubatoys today,I thing that will help cure the problem I have been having with the hose trying to pull the second stage out of my mouth,we will see. What is the water temps and vis like at that quarry?

Awesome! I think you'll enjoy it even if it is a bit of a haul. I usually try to leave Duluth at 6:30 - 7:00 am and plan on getting back around 8pm. I'd be happy to help you with your doubles, lets remember to take the necessary tools along in case we need to move bands etc. Have you already set them up? If not check these out: http://www.trishandjason.com/scuba/HowToAssembleDoubles.pdf
doubles

Mine are currently broken down, but if you are going to dive doubles then I'll set them up this week.

I assume you will be diving wet? do you have an aluminum backplate? have you worked out your weighting yet? we can figure all that out when we get there if we need to.

temps are probably no worse than Lanier this time of year. I expect its somewhere in the mid 50's at depth. if the thermocline has developed it will be a bit warmer above 20' of course.

as far as the viz, last month it was the best I've ever seen it - at least 30'+. it will probably come down, especially on Sunday, but will still be better than the local mud hole :)

if that early departure time will work for you let me know and I'll set up my doubles. I'll run down to divers supply and get us a couple of tickets - its dui dog days there this weekend. I think its $20 to get in, something like that anyway.

is divers supply taking the bus there or are we driving? will be diving wet,have a alum plate and a 40lb deep outdoors wing and a 50lb diverite rec wing. I have it all set up but am not sure if it was done correctly,I am sure I will have to adjust the bands up or down. the 72 tanks are not very negative,they were the standard before bcs were in use so they were slightly negative full and slightly positive when near empty,they should balance out pretty good.I might be interested in your alum plate to set up a single rig with the 40lb wing,it is a doubles wing so I am not sure how well it would work. all this is new to me,so I just need some bottom time with it to get it all straightened out.

Let me know if ya'll want another ride along :) Been thinking bout going Sunday.

I have been working out of town since new years,so haven't had a chance to dive much,but I am ready to hit it hard now and get some bottom time in. I am planning on going to lake hartwell sometime after springfest,I just know there is some good diving up there,the dam there is about 10 longer than laniers,so alot of rip rap to dive on,might see some of those giant flathead catfish there too.

Wish I could come along...but will be in Cologne, Germany! Maybe next time!

is divers supply taking the bus there or are we driving? will be diving wet,have a alum plate and a 40lb deep outdoors wing and a 50lb diverite rec wing. I have it all set up but am not sure if it was done correctly,I am sure I will have to adjust the bands up or down. the 72 tanks are not very negative,they were the standard before bcs were in use so they were slightly negative full and slightly positive when near empty,they should balance out pretty good.I might be interested in your alum plate to set up a single rig with the 40lb wing,it is a doubles wing so I am not sure how well it would work. all this is new to me,so I just need some bottom time with it to get it all straightened out.

doubles wing will not work well with singles. too wide usually and wraps around the tank trapping air and making it difficult to completely empty your wing.

we're driving, there's not DS "trip" per se, although they will be there due to DUI DOG Days.

I recommend we just focus on the doubles setup for now. It will take a day of fiddling around to get it right probably.

biggest thing, other than maintaining oxygen cleanliness and assuring no introduction of particles or hydrocarbon/silicon contaminants (assuming you're diving Nitrox) is to make sure there is no mechanical loading on the manifold when the bands are tightened before filling the tanks. you don't need to crank the bands down, really just snug them up. when the tanks are filled, even just a few hundred psi, the tank expansion will tighten things up.

things to know before hand:
-how much weight do you dive in the same wetsuit with one of these tanks and your BC
-how much does your backplate weigh
-total weight of your manifold, bands, additional 1st stage (we can guess these close enough if need be)

then we can do the math to figure your weighting close enough for the first dive.

I have been working out of town since new years,so haven't had a chance to dive much,but I am ready to hit it hard now and get some bottom time in. I am planning on going to lake hartwell sometime after springfest,I just know there is some good diving up there,the dam there is about 10 longer than laniers,so alot of rip rap to dive on,might see some of those giant flathead catfish there too.

I really want to get some good diving in on Jocasee this summer too

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom