Diving accident waiting to happen!! Video. Unbelievable!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
not so fast there, pal

... why don't we pick on Alabamians instead?

Well.... coz I'm living in Bama right now so I've temporarly adopted the State.

Roll Tide!!! & War Eagle!!!

Don Janni:
:shakehead I'm from Arkansas too so next time pick Florida or some state like that. :shakehead

BTW: Are you hiding the state you live in?

Also: GO HOGS

I live in Memphis, but it's not really like the rest of Tennessee. This guy was from Arkansas, sorry. But the point I was trying to make is that the people in the "fly-by" states aren't nearly as protective of their children as people in the large cities on the coasts in respect to engaging in sports. I haven't seen it. Catherine is just a troublemaker. It's all her fault! :D

TheRedHead:
I live in Memphis, but it's not really like the rest of Tennessee. This guy was from Arkansas, sorry. But the point I was trying to make is that the people in the "fly-by" states aren't nearly as protective of their children as people in the large cities on the coasts in respect to engaging in sports. I haven't seen it.

Not like the rest of Tennessee... humm??!?

As for the point your were trying to make... you could be on to something there. I think there is less fear and paranoia in general in those states. There's still places in the Ozarks where they hunt to eat... all on the Missouri side mind you.

Don Janni:
Not like the rest of Tennessee... humm??!?

Middle TN is like northern Alabama and East Tennesse is like western N. Carolina. Geographically it's like N. Mississippi and E. Arkansas in the Mississippi Delta. Culturally, it's Faulknarian.

all on the Missouri side mind you.

Oh, you're going to hear from the Missourians. :shakehead

First of all I was born in Hawaii and I will eat dogs any time I feel like it. Maybe even the occasional burger, too. Second of all I grew up with guns but never shot my eye out. Third, the first scuba training I had was written on a Snorkair tank " Always exhale when rising through the water". I haven't died yet. We are made of pioneer stock and what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. I'll bet you lunch that kid is still alive and has no idea how close he came to death. One day that kid will grow up to be a Navy Seal or push the envelope in other ways.

So, child-endangerment, or a fun parent, or both.

How about this instead: it's not MY kid, it's not YOURS, so keep it to yourself and let things be. As long as these are good enough parents to keep the kid from screaming in a movie theater or running around like a tazmanian devil in the shops, I really don't give a darn - they had the kid, it's their issue, their decision what to expose and instill.

So many people in this world have NO business having kids, but until there are licensing requirements (which there should be), it's not my place to say how you raise 'em. (Just make sure they shut up in restaurants and movie theaters!! That to me is the test.)

Honestly, I live in NJ, in a suburb, (an affluent one too, though I live in what is called "the valley" where the riff raff live) and I can say, with authority, that we have the most overprotective helicopter parents in the nation. They drive me crazy. Do you know there was a seminar at the high school about getting your kids through the stresses of applying for college? These poor dears are under soooo much pressure because if they don't get into Harvard, their lives are ruined forever. The only reason I would make sure my kid wears a seatbelt is because of the soccer moms driving their 3 ton SUVs while yakking on their cell phones making their next manicure appointment or talking about the riff raff from The Valley and not paying attention to the road. Give me and my kid the "dangers" of diving any day.

Remember when SCUBA was dangerous...and sex was safe?

I'd take my son on a shallow "octo" dive if he wanted to (he's only 4). I'm not a redneck (still have all my teeth), I have a college degree (educator), and I'm a card carrying Southern Baptist. Sorta breaks the stereotypes doesn't it!!!

We worry way too much about could happen...and inflating ourselves over our neighbor as parents these days. I agree with al the people on here who think that the dad was exercising some calculated risks in order to connect with his son. Could he have done it smarter...you bet. With a lot of divers around, borrowing some gear would not be much of a problem. He could take the boy diving "Discover" style and probably been much safer. But for anyone to question his parenting to the point of calling this "abuse" is a little bit self-righteous in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom