Diving accident waiting to happen!! Video. Unbelievable!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started my son diving that way and the effect it had was to make increase his comfort in the water and give him a leg up in class when he certified at age 12.

As for shooting, we started that at about age 6, and my Dad started me shooting at about the same age. By age 8 I was taking a .22 out rabbit hunting on my own in our orchards and shelterbelts.

I think there is real value in taking the mystery out of firearms by educating kids as to their proper use. It becomes an opportunity to teach personal responsibility as well - opportunities for that seem to be becoming much less frequent in our current "protect us from oursleves" society gone amuck.

I went to grade school in the early 70's in a smallish sized town and it was common for kids to bring BB guns and .22 rifles to school for show and tell and for the playgorund teacher to supervise some shooting during recess (the school was on the edge of town with a suitable bluff for a backstop.) We did not have problems with violence in the school and in fact if we did, the would be killer would have probably been cut down in a hail of gunfire and/or cut to ribbons with the 4" to 6" Buck knives that were more or less standard attire for the male students older than 10-11 long before the police could have responded. A Columbine incident just would not have ever happened in that environment.

Responsbility was a concept that was undertstood and the administration would leave the high school gym open (and unsupervised) until 10:00pm with the understanding that the first time there wa s problem or the floor was not swept before we left would terminate the program. The unspervised after school gym use was still going strong when I left.

30 years later I found my self wishing my son could have grown up in a school like that, but unfortuntately that is a thing of the past. I agree that we need to protect our children and control the risks they take, but I think we also need to understand that protecting our children from every possible harm and/or preventing them from participating in and learning from controlled risk activities does them far more harm that most of us realize in terms of loss of confidence, reduction in self-efficacy and developmental delay and reduced maturation.

I am also not advocating an end to Soccer programs, (but am suggesting some rule changes may be in order to with regard to heading to reduce or minimize some of the long term cognitive impacts from the sport) as they are a valuable way for kids to learn teamwork, socialization, self esteem, etc in addition to maintaining physical fitness. The only difference I see is that soccer is politically correct and accepted as a child's sport, while diving and shooting are no longer viewed that way as diving is perceived as "dangerous" and shooting is regarded as being "evil" in many circles.

that protecting our children from every possible harm and/or preventing them from participating in and learning from controlled risk activities does them far more harm that most of us realize in terms of loss of confidence, reduction in self-efficacy and developmental delay and reduced maturation.

Very well said and I do not hear too many people espousing this message.

The benefits of assuming and managing risks is one of the most important things you teach your kids, IMV. I know lots of parents who seem to think PREVENTING any mistakes is their number one objective. Maybe balancing some fertile teaching material with keeping them alive, should be our goal, as this is how we maximize their benefit from knowing us vs just having us support them financially and drive them places!

Divin'Hoosier:
If Scuba is as inherently safe, or just as risky, as soccer, baseball and football, than why do we have training programs and certification agencies?

You're making the assumption that training programs and agencies are required for diving. They're not, at least in the US. You're also assuming that regulation and certification are rational processes and that things that are regulated are that way for a reason and that things that aren't regulated are demonstrably safer. There is no evidence to support any of those beliefs, which are actually sort of quaint and touching.

catherine96821:
I notice that often, what I would call "hypervigilance" of parents is a regional thing. Which is why I could not live in the suburbs in the midwest, to be honest. Maybe I am wrong.... Now, I always pick mail order businesses from the MW because I find their business ethics to my favor. Parenting...I might get locked up.

I think the "fly-over" states are where you would see this kind of thing more, not less. I knew a guy from Arkansas who would take his 14 year old uncertified cousin diving on his octo in the lake. Last time they did this, his cousin couldn't anything but water out of the octo because there was a twig stuck in the diaphram. He was upset because his cousin wouldn't dive with him anymore. :lol:

DA Aquamaster:
I agree that we need to protect our children and control the risks they take, but I think we also need to understand that protecting our children from every possible harm and/or preventing them from participating in and learning from controlled risk activities does them far more harm that most of us realize in terms of loss of confidence, reduction in self-efficacy and developmental delay and reduced maturation.

To the above....... I heartly agree.

Redhead,

I am from Arkansas and can assure you that that is not the norm. We have the same percentage of dumb*&^es that all of the other states do. Please, no stereotypes.

Thanks

ouachita:
Redhead,

I am from Arkansas and can assure you that that is not the norm. We have the same percentage of dumb*&^es that all of the other states do. Please, no stereotypes.

Ouachita, this guy was from Cherry Valley, about 40 miles from where I live, so if I want to poke fun at him, I can. He wasn't a dumb azz, he used to work for me. :mooner:

TheRedHead:
Ouachita, this guy was from Cherry Valley, about 40 miles from where I live, so if I want to poke fun at him, I can. He wasn't a dumb azz, he used to work for me. :mooner:

:shakehead I'm from Arkansas too so next time pick Florida or some state like that. :shakehead

BTW: Are you hiding the state you live in?

Also: GO HOGS

Don Janni:
:shakehead I'm from Arkansas too so next time pick Florida or some state like that. :shakehead

not so fast there, pal

... why don't we pick on Alabamians instead?

Back
Top Bottom