Diving accident waiting to happen!! Video. Unbelievable!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many of these types of head injuries are silent and go undetected, FWIW.

Not that I am against soccer.

Could very well been that the child was handicapped and this is a way that the father and son could enjoy something together.

superstar:

hmmm.... looks like they are following proper safety procedures ... the girl is
wearing safety goggles, so i assume she is wearing small earplugs (and not
the headphone-style type).

if she is not wearing earplugs, that's a big no-no, specially for kids ... but...
it looks like she's shooting a .22 of some sort, so ... not exactly the loudest guns...
still, hearing protection is a must

great way to expose kids to weapon safety and have them grow up to be responsible gun owners, imo

gangrel441:
And how many diving accidents have you personally witnessed?

That's not a fair comparison as I've been diving for a much shorter period of time than I've been a soccer parent. But to answer your question ... None. But I've also never witnessed a serious soccer injury. Minor injuries, yes. I know that both serious diving and soccer injuries occur, but I've personally witnessed neither.

I'm also not sure of the point. Diving accidents happen. Soccer accidents happen. My main argument is that diving requires training and certification for a reason. There is inherent risk in breathing compressed air under pressure that doesn't exist in sports. You're not going to experience an AGE while playing soccer. I realize they are both risky activities. I don't question that. Many of the risks they share are the same. Any activity that is physically strenuous has certain risks. My point is the Scuba is unique in that it has a set of serious risks that other sports don't share. That's why it requires training and certification and that is why I think it unwise to take a 5-6 year old Scuba diving with you, regardless of the depth. Call me alarmist. Call me old fashioned. It's just one man's opinion.

I also find it odd that so many of the posts seem to contrast taking your 5-6 year old Scuba diving v. being an absentee father. Like it's one or the other. Am I supposed to believe that there aren't other options for a man to be a loving, involved father? I am the father of two daughters and I have been VERY involved in every aspect of their lives.

Let's be real here people...this is how I started diving, and I'm sure that I am not alone. I consider myself to be as safe a diver as they come, and although my son is only 3 weeks old, taking him down a few feet in crystal clear, warm water is definitely in his future. There are FAR worse things that parents do to their kids every single day and we all witness daily. Let's RELAX a little bit!!!

Well at least in both cases there is a parent present. Better than most cases. And in the latter she was damn good shot.

I agree JimJam. This is being blown out of proportion IMHO.

I notice that often, what I would call "hypervigilance" of parents is a regional thing. Which is why I could not live in the suburbs in the midwest, to be honest. Maybe I am wrong.... Now, I always pick mail order businesses from the MW because I find their business ethics to my favor. Parenting...I might get locked up.

The parenting mentality has always seemed to be a regional thing, to me. IN GENERAL.

Hawaii for example, has so many cultures, we just passed a local law against cooking dogs, so no one pays me much mind. There is more freedom from the neighbor's opinions.

I saw this woman (Vietnamese looking) come through my security gate, (you have to have your DL swiped into a computer, so she stopped and I got a good look) and she was on a moped, with a baby about 4 months old in her lap, straddling the gas tank) I asked the guard "is THAT legal??" and he said "yes, because it was not a motorcycle". The baby could barely hold his head up.

And they swear to me this IS America.

catherine96821:
Which is why I could not live in the suburbs in the midwest, to be honest.

yea, I could never live someplace like... HEY! :11:

Divin'Hoosier:
That's not a fair comparison as I've been diving for a much shorter period of time than I've been a soccer parent. But to answer your question ... None. But I've also never witnessed a serious soccer injury. Minor injuries, yes. I know that both serious diving and soccer injuries occur, but I've personally witnessed neither.

Seems quite fair to me. You seemed to have been discounting the seriousness of the injuries that can be received in Soccer because you had never witnessed any such injuries. I've been diving a fair amount of time, and have never witnessed a serious diving injury.

Again, look at the posts about what if a parent has a corrinary behind the wheel. Our children leave their lives in our hands all the time. I saw some stuff going on in that video that wasn't exactly by the book. I wouldn't say any of it constituted reckless endangerment....

Divin'Hoosier:
I'm also not sure of the point. Diving accidents happen. Soccer accidents happen. My main argument is that diving requires training and certification for a reason. There is inherent risk in breathing compressed air under pressure that doesn't exist in sports. You're not going to experience an AGE while playing soccer. I realize they are both risky activities. I don't question that. Many of the risks they share are the same. Any activity that is physically strenuous has certain risks. My point is the Scuba is unique in that it has a set of serious risks that other sports don't share. That's why it requires training and certification and that is why I think it unwise to take a 5-6 year old Scuba diving with you, regardless of the depth. Call me alarmist. Call me old fashioned. It's just one man's opinion.

Yep. There are risks involved. Training is necessary. I am so glad such thorough training is provided to all those folks who are taken out to do Discover dives to 40 ft. That training they had will really kick in if an emergency comes up, won't it? :hmmm:

The big variable here is how experienced and how well trained the father is. If he knows his stuff, which it seems pretty likely to me, then the kid isn't in much of any danger. They are shallow, the kid is not freeswimming, there are other divers in the water able to assist if there's a problem. And for all that, the kid is probably gaining an experience that may well spark a lifetime love affair with diving. Sounds like a good plan to me...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom