Diving accident waiting to happen!! Video. Unbelievable!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DA Aquamaster:
Ask via hand signals plus watch for any signs of distress (I did not see any signs of distress from the kid in the video - in fact it looked like he was having fun rather than being abused.)

Watch for bubbles, especially on ascent.

Basically the same question unless Dad totally fails to monitor the gas supply. But assuming they are shallow (lots of color in the video under what appears to be ambient light) they they do a swimming ascent. Practically speaking I have never had a failure to deliver gas reg failure in over 20 years of diving, many of those years with well over 100 dives per year.

The same thing that happens if dad has a massive coronary on the interstate on the way home. Lets get real here - kids are risk of accidental death when a parent checks out in lots of environments. Shoot...if mom smokes and falls asleep on the couch with a cigarette, the kid could be doomed in the resulting fire (an event that recently happended locally). We don't automatically brand all smokers as child abusers or reckless endangerers.

Personally, having dove for over 20 years spawned 2 divers and not having any kids die on my watch, I don't think doing what is in the video is any more dangerous than many other "normal" sports soccer moms haul their kids to every day. Soccer being one of them - current research indicates a high incidence of traumatic brain injury in soccer both from getting whacked in the head and also from bouncing the ball off your own noggin.

Is their some risk? Absolutely, but the odds are probably still greater that the kid will get hurt on the drive home. There are however benefits. The kid is interacting with Dad, he is not playing video games, and he is probaly developing a love for diving that will keep him intersted, occupied and academically attuned to relevent subjects during his teen years in high school. All of which will reduce the risk of other types of high risk drug and alcohol related behavior later.

In my former Child Protection Social Worker opinion, as long as Dad did a proper amount of pre-dive briefing and education and proceeded cautiously and incrementally, I see no evidence of abuse. I'd still be more upset with the ignorant soccer mom who is blissfully ok with her kid knocking the ball around with his or her head.

Excuse me while I go put on my nomex suit....
I agree with you anyways. Lots of little kids go free diving in the ocean by themselves. diving in shallow water with his dad seems less risky than "encouraging" your kid to play contact football or hockey. If I was that kid, I'd be having a blast.

Interesting perspective, but I just don't agree. You certainly make a decent argument, but if soccer were as dangerous as Scuba (or perhaps more dangerous as you seem to be arguing) I would expect to be required to show my Soccer C-Card to play in the next game in the park. If Scuba is as inherently safe, or just as risky, as soccer, baseball and football, than why do we have training programs and certification agencies? There is simply an inherent risk in Scuba that isn't present in other sports and that has to do with the complexities and risks of breathing compressed air while under pressure. Given that, I still see it as irresponsible for a parent to take a young child Scuba diving with them without the child being old enough to enjoy the sport safely (aka. old enough to understand the risks and how to avoid them).

Also, I've been around soccer for 11 years now since my daughter started to play at age 5. I have NEVER heard about a brain trauma injury. I'm not saying they don't occur. I am saying that I have never been aware of one in the soccer circles that I frequent. Even head injuries are quite rare. I'd hazard a bet that divers are injured more frequently, more severly and die at a much higher rate than soccer players.

DA Aquamaster:
Ask via hand signals plus watch for any signs of distress (I did not see any signs of distress from the kid in the video - in fact it looked like he was having fun rather than being abused.)

Basically the same question unless Dad totally fails to monitor the gas supply. But assuming they are shallow (lots of color in the video under what appears to be ambient light) they they do a swimming ascent. Practically speaking I have never had a failure to deliver gas reg failure in over 20 years of diving, many of those years with well over 100 dives per year.

The same thing that happens if dad has a massive coronary on the interstate on the way home. Lets get real here - kids are risk of accidental death when a parent checks out in lots of environments. Shoot...if mom smokes and falls asleep on the couch with a cigarette, the kid could be doomed in the resulting fire (an event that recently happended locally). We don't automatically brand all smokers as child abusers or reckless endangerers.

Personally, having dove for over 20 years spawned 2 divers and not having any kids die on my watch, I don't think doing what is in the video is any more dangerous than many other "normal" sports soccer moms haul their kids to every day. Soccer being one of them - current research indicates a high incidence of traumatic brain injury in soccer both from getting whacked in the head and also from bouncing the ball off your own noggin.

Is their some risk? Absolutely, but the odds are probably still greater that the kid will get hurt on the drive home. There are however benefits. The kid is interacting with Dad, he is not playing video games, and he is probaly developing a love for diving that will keep him intersted, occupied and academically attuned to relevent subjects during his teen years in high school. All of which will reduce the risk of other types of high risk drug and alcohol related behavior later.

In my former Child Protection Social Worker opinion, as long as Dad did a proper amount of pre-dive briefing and education and proceeded cautiously and incrementally, I see no evidence of abuse. I'd still be more upset with the ignorant soccer mom who is blissfully ok with her kid knocking the ball around with his or her head.

If it is some kind of set up, I just don't get it. Why would someone go to the trouble to set something like that up? What to gain? Is that supposed to be funny? Do people do things like this and post on the internet just to get people to talk about it? IF so, man some people just dont have a life. Wierd???

I wish that my dad would have done cool things with me when I was a kid. I took my daughter to AKR to swim with the dolphins when she was 5 and my parents thought I was nuts.

Oh, shoot, that's how I dive with all my adult buddies. Sling one under my arm, and off we go.

BTW, if anyone wants to go diving, I'm having some trouble finding buddies these days...

Rick,
You just have to make a trip across the pass and go diving...
There are plenty of dive buddies over here! :)
K

DA Aquamaster:

No flames from me. I've seen this done in 20' of water with an instructor and his son. Risky? Perhaps. Child endangerment? No.

Diver Dennis:
No flames from me. I've seen this done in 20' of water with an instructor and his son. Risky? Perhaps. Child endangerment? No.

I'm guilty. I did this with my son when he was 8. In 4 feet of water and a lot of instruction beforehand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom