Diving accident waiting to happen!! Video. Unbelievable!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divin'Hoosier:
I also find it odd that so many of the posts seem to contrast taking your 5-6 year old Scuba diving v. being an absentee father. Like it's one or the other. Am I supposed to believe that there aren't other options for a man to be a loving, involved father? I am the father of two daughters and I have been VERY involved in every aspect of their lives.

And you live in Indiana where soccer, basketball, football etc are the norm for kids. My kids grew up on the beach and were around diving and snorkeling from age 2.
At age 9 and 11 both parents were working instructors. It's natural that you'll get your kids into what you're into. (until they become teenagers and don't want anything to do with you for a while...:D )

Hank49:
(until they become teenagers and don't want anything to do with you for a while...:D )
My 16 yo son is perfectly happy letting me pay to take him to Bonaire, Roatan, where ever. And he'll even let me buy him a new reg. :wink: But, he'll never hang out with me during SI's. :D

No, I am not picking on states. I am saying that the attitudes are very regional in the sense that it is whatever you are used to. Kids here surf at 6 or 7 and coming from a more "tame" environment in SoCal...I hired a surfer to teach them about the surfbreaks and riptides and how not to get their butts kicked by the locals.

It just seems that some pockets across USA, have these "overly domesticated" people that live by another set of standards, that seem a little rigid to people living elsewhere. It seems to me, the more domesticated the kids are the less self preservation-instinct they seem to have developed. And that has inherent risks of it's own.
I should not have said Midwest. I should have said Suburban. hey, I am a product of the suburbs so I feel I can comment to some degree.

catherine96821:
No, I am not picking on states.
It just seems that some pockets across USA, have these "overly domesticated" people that live by another set of standards, that seem a little rigid to people living elsewhere. I should not have said Midwest. I should have said Suburban. hey, I am a product of the suburbs so I feel I can comment to some degree.

I can atest to Midwesterners having their fair share of crazies. Having grown up there....I didn't have an ocean but we found ways.....:D

My gut reaction to the diving video is that it appears to be some sort of discover scuba diving for a handicapped kid. Which diability he has, I don't know, but that was my first reaction.

Since the main diver has a hood (and gloves?) on and the kid is in a shortie, I would lean towards that the main diver is in the water a long time perhaps taking down multiple kids.

Personally, I wouldn't want the liability of a dive like this, but if it is some sort of DSD for handicapped kids, then I can cut them some slack.

Wow, I wish I could've done that as a kid to really get my but in gear to get certified. I tell you what, that kid probably worships his dad for letting him do such a 'cool' thing even though it may not be the most prudent way to introduce your kids to scuba.
Child abuse? LOL.

DBailey:
My gut reaction to the diving video is that it appears to be some sort of discover scuba diving for a handicapped kid. Which diability he has, I don't know, but that was my first reaction.

hey, that's a pretty good deduction

DBailey:

Our dive club is a strong advocate of the Dive Pirates Foundation, an organization that focuses on Adaptive Scuba, exposing those with disabilities to the underwater world of scuba. Check out the website, though it doesn't compare to the excellent in-person presentations they do.

nothing unbelievable about this in my country netherland and also others kids will dive like this all time with father or instructor in shallow water, forget the country name but they make half there living off diving for lobster and scuba diving is the most deadliest thing there since it's there lifely hood they will start there kids at very young on the traits of scuba.

Always descending,
c.h.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom