Diving 38s - the Trifecta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ha, my metric trifecta would be 30C water, 30C air, and 30M viz :D
Right on. Unfortunately, some of my dives are like that but in F.

Ha, my metric trifecta would be 30C water, 30C air, and 30M viz :D

No, no, no. The Metric Trifecta would be 3C water, 3C air, and 3m viz. What are you waiting for?!?! ;-)

What was the secret to attaching the tail weight? I usually just use shot instead of poured lead and smash it down to fit the shape between the tanks by tightening the bolts/pushing it down.

I got a tail weight pouch.

Highland Tail Trim Weight Pouch

I felt like I needed to start with 2# in that. I put in 2 x 1# soft weights. But then it would not fit down in between the tanks far enough. But, I was putting the grommets of the pouch over the lower bolt of the tank bands. I think what I need to to is just attach the pouch directly to the lowest hole on the back plate itself, using a sex bolt. Then the pouch would stick down fully below the back plate, so none of the actual weight itself would be between the BP and the tanks. I just didn't think of that at the time, yesterday. Stupid, as I actually had metal sex bolts with me that I could have used.

Stuart, Yeah, isn't stuff like that just FUN! I guess it's common for fresh water to go down to 38F in Jan., even in VA. I would assume the ocean out of Norfolk would be a better choice. I did the Deep course a decade ago in May in the ocean in NS at 35F or so (wet). That was SOME safety stop..... Here on the panhandle it's been 65F in the Gulf all Jan.--about 10F above normal. Haven't even used my farmer john bottoms yet.

Yeah, I've clocked 38 on the bottom of the local quarry even in the dead of summer. Yesterday, I didn't even go to the bottom. I clocked 37 there during the later part of Fall, so it's probably even a little colder now, at the very bottom. BRRR!! :)

I'm sure I could find warmer ocean water. But, the local quarry is 15 minutes away. Any kind of ocean dive is much further, for me.

Thanks for the update on the Gulf temps. That makes me feel SOO much better. LOL ;-)

Last edited:
I just got back from diving the springs in Florida. This is a good reminder that all the driving was worth it!

And flying! My modified trifecta off of West Palm Beach on Saturday was 63 degrees sea temperature, 73 degrees air temperature, and 83 ft deep. Oh, and two black tip reef sharks.

Still baffled on the 63 degree sea temp. Several reported 63 degrees and several reported 73 degrees. I thought it was more like 73 degrees. Maybe we hit a small pocket of cold although it didnt notice anything.

I did hit the trifecta on dive #2. Air temp 73, water temp 73, and depth 73.

Still baffled on the 63 degree sea temp. Several reported 63 degrees and several reported 73 degrees. I thought it was more like 73 degrees. Maybe we hit a small pocket of cold although it didnt notice anything.

Water may get colder in the bays and rivers. Perhaps a slug of water from an outgoing tide?

Could be. We were in sporty seas so maybe the surface temps were down due to the wind and waves and that is what my dive computer picked up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom