Dives in Singapore or Malaysia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BobHaze101

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm going to be in Singapore on business in late March, and would like to take a weekend to do some diving (OWD) before I come home to the New England winter. Any recommendations in Singapore or nearby Malaysia?

if only week-end. Go to Tioman or Aur in Malaysia. many operators in Singapore go to Tioman or Aur for week-end. (leaving Friday evening coming back Sunday evening.)
my recommendation: Vincent- www.whitemanta.com or Seahounds - scuba@seahounds.com
I don't think you want to dive in Singapore water, if you see the color of water!?

Yeah. Many dive ops leave Friday evening and are back in Singapore Sun night.
Absolute-scuba.com... Nice staff. Speak to Roy or Martin..
Waikidi Dive centre.... Might wanna speak to Robin..

have fun!

Please lah! Of all places to recommend.... DO NOT WASTE your rare weekend to dive in Singapore waters. Take the time to do a short weekend trip as recommended by the others to the 3 possible destinations, Pulau Tioman, Pulau Dayang or Pulau Aur. Dayang and Aur are essentially the same, sister islands less than 500m(?) apart, so the sites are pretty much the same sites.

Late March is pretty much the start of the season, so there'll be a frenzy of operators from Singapore going out to these islands. Dayang and Aur tend to be pretty much back-to-basics operations irregardless of which operator you choose to go there with as they use the same resorts. 4hr mini-van ride from Singapore at 8pm + another 4hr bumboat ride to the islands. You get into the islands at about 4-5am and then start getting ready to rush dive from around 7-8am. It's pretty exhausting and demanding so it's not recommended for the average holiday-cum-work diver.

Pulau Tioman runs tend to leave Singapore around the same time, with the same 4hr Mini-van rides, but you get to overnight on the mainland and take a 1hr speedboat ride out to the island. Accomodation varies between operators from Very Basic to passable (no stars still).

The Best and most comfortable route to the islands by FAR is as recommended by Live_in_Sin earlier and that is to go to the Dayang/Aur Islands via Live-On-Boards. They aren't MUCH more expensive, give and take USD50-75 difference, but far more leisurely and comfortable. You'll only need to clear immigration once, (which is tiring and horrendous, if you go by land, SERIOUSLY!) and you can have undisturbed sleep in your bed all the way till the Dawn dive.

The MV Whitemanta and MV Blackmanta (more expensive) are pretty much the best LOBS operating from Singapore (I have absolutely no affiliations with them) and are hard to beat even compared to the Boats around the region, so you can't go wrong. I've personally only dove once with them and done the land route 3 times (always swearing off it forever after each trip), and now, I can only imagine going to those islands that way.

Great BBQs too. Good Luck Bob!

Viz for Singapore waters (Pulau Hantu is the dive site) is about 3 to 6 feet. That's feet, not metres. The water's brown. If you're lucky, you'll see a handful of fishes. If you're really lucky, you'll spot a turtle or a ray. These are the ones that Singapore's Underwater World Sentosa release into the waters.

I got certified there too. Only because it was monsoon season and I was desperate to be ready for the start of the dive season.

Yups. It's all true! (never knew about the underwater world release program though, thanks for that tidbit). You can dive in an oversized fish tank if you want, but there are restrictions. For more details check out www.underwaterworld.com.sg

I dove the waters of P.Hantu about 1+ months ago, the Viz was about 3ft. First and last time. I did the dive for national pride...... sad to say, I'd really advise against it, unless you wanna practice for low viz situations. Cheap though.... 2 dive half a day session goes for around USD36 incl tanks and weights.

Thanks much to everyone for the helpful info! I've already emailed to Vincent at WhiteManta.com and he's already replied. It sounds like just what I was looking for! I'll let the Board know in early April how it went.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom