Question Sidemount recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Disaac2604

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I’m looking to get into rec side mount
Anyone done a sm course in the Philippines/Indonesia/Malaysia?
Are there any recommendations for instructors around the Asia pacific region
I’m from Singapore but I don’t know any sidemount diving instructors here, my best luck was to travel out of Singapore for the course

Not in the Philippines/Indonesia/Malaysia, but pretty much directly between them. I did mine recently at Sam's Tours in Palau and was very happy with the course. I think the instructor is leaving for Europe in February, though.

I’m looking to get into rec side mount
Anyone done a sm course in the Philippines/Indonesia/Malaysia?
Are there any recommendations for instructors around the Asia pacific region
I’m from Singapore but I don’t know any sidemount diving instructors here, my best luck was to travel out of Singapore for the course
Do you have your own sidemount harness/bcd? If so, what brand?

I teach sidemount in Bali. My main focus is the XDeep but that will change soon to the UK Sump eXplorer series.

Andy Davis?

ETA: I have zero personal experience with Mr Davis but in the 8 or so years I’ve been SM diving, his posts and his blog have come up so often I owe him some kind of thanks for the info I’ve gleaned. Not saying I agree with all his conclusions but he has a lot of info out there.

Do you have your own sidemount harness/bcd? If so, what brand?

I teach sidemount in Bali. My main focus is the XDeep but that will change soon to the UK Sump eXplorer series.
I have a diverite nomad xt, got it because it was basically brand new and seller was selling it cheap

There is no such thing as recreational sidemount. I’ll quote from the inventor of sidemount harness Lamar Hires owner of Dive Rite. There are only two reasons for going sidemount. 1 mission specific. 2 personal lifestyle.

There is no such thing as recreational sidemount. I’ll quote from the inventor of sidemount harness Lamar Hires owner of Dive Rite. There are only two reasons for going sidemount. 1 mission specific. 2 personal lifestyle.

Wow, i didn't know Lamar was over 100 years old.
Its impressive that someone of that age is still active.

I'll quote (not sure who but im sure someone's already said it) x "life is like a box of chocolates, if you come over a sidemount harness cheap you might as well try it eaven if its rec diving. All power to Aquaman."

google Mike Boon.

I have a diverite nomad xt, got it because it was basically brand new and seller was selling it cheap
The Nomad XT is a hybrid system that also does BM doubles and STBM. In my experience, any hybrid system is a system that does none of those things particularly well. I understand getting something because it is cheap though.

There is a LOT going on with that system, most of which is unnecessary. I could probably work with it since I understand the physics of sidemount but it is not something I have ever put my hands on other than to help a diver into one he brought with him.

Back
Top Bottom