Looking For Sidemount Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

McGinty

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm surprised I couldn't find this in an existing thread and perhaps I need to dig a little deeper into the forums but I'm an older, rec diver with some technical experience, Cavern Diver, Cave Diver, looking for Sidemount training. I'm sure this has been asked before, but how can I find a good side mount instructor? I hold cards from NAUI, PADI, SSI, TDI and IANTD so I really don't care about the organization, I just want solid instruction.

Most of my diving from here on will be in warm, open water. Not interested in extreme deep or penetration diving.

I'm in the southwest, but I'm willing to travel for good instruction.

So, how do I find an instructor?

Thanks in advanced..

I'm surprised I couldn't find this in an existing thread and perhaps I need to dig a little deeper into the forums but I'm an older, rec diver with some technical experience, Cavern Diver, Cave Diver, looking for Sidemount training. I'm sure this has been asked before, but how can I find a good side mount instructor? I hold cards from NAUI, PADI, SSI, TDI and IANTD so I really don't care about the organization, I just want solid instruction.

Most of my diving from here on will be in warm, open water. Not interested in extreme deep or penetration diving.

I'm in the southwest, but I'm willing to travel for good instruction.

So, how do I find an instructor?

Thanks in advanced..
I'm not currently a technical sidemount instructor, but I do offer a decent SDI sidemount class. :wink:

I can also point you at a few folks in Mexico that can get you sorted out on the technical side.

I went through the (paid) Sidemounting.com materials, and they were very well made. Steve Martin seems to be someone who really thinks about and cares about his craft. While I haven't taken his in-person class, I wouldn't mind doing so some day.

I'd suggest going through some of the free content on his website, and seeing if his teaching style seems like a good fit.

Timmy Young - Ft. White, FL

I’ve got a sidemount class with one student in it on May 1st in Florida. I’m a terrible instructor though. I expect you to master the material, have sound mind and singular focus, look great in the water and both of us be confident in your skills and abilities or I won’t pass you.

There are lots of great instructors. Marisa, Draker, Max, Ed, etc. but if you want the best, you need to talk to each of them and see which one’s teaching style and personality works best for you.

Peter
407-304-9288

If you're going to practice locally, or principally dive AL80s I'd recommend taking your class in Mexico. There are a couple of advantages to diving steel tanks, but unless you've got your own tanks, locally you're going to be diving AL, so Mexican-style sidemount training/practice will make things a little easier.

If you want to see what my training looks like, I'll be out at Blue Hole this weekend to teach and I'm planning to do at least some of my dives in sidemount.

As for Mexico, the folks from Under the Jungle are all top-tier. I've trained with all of them except Nat and I can't say enough good things about them.

ask 10 sm divers and you will get 10 answers. i would decide whether you want to stay home or travel to do the course. then ask specifically about that chosen location

Timmy Young - Ft. White, FL

Timmy’s a really nice guy. Can’t vouch for how he is as an instructor, but I get my fills from him when I’m in cave country (have a connection, he doesn’t cater to the public) and we’ve had some great conversations while tanks were filling.

IMHO, get a list of a few instructors and "interview" them - find out who you gel with, and whose teaching stile you get along with.

If you are willing to travel I suggest heading to Lauderdale by the Sea, FL and taking a class from Ryan Custueri at Aqui Water Sports. He is one hell of a SM instructor and someone I have watched teach (I used to work for them) and taken many things from to add to my course when I tech my students.

Back
Top Bottom