Diver Training: How much is enough?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sure I know at least one instructor who, if he doubled or quadrupled the amount of time he spent on students. would produce exactly the same results. The only different would be that the student would have paid double or quadruple the amount of money to reach the same level (or lack thereof) of competence.

Surely there has to be a happy medium. I think we can agree that classes that are too fast are crap. That should make Wayne happy to hear but on the same token, classes that are too drawn out do not force the instructor to improve his/her efficiency either because, quite frankly, there is no reason to be efficient if you can spend all the time in the world on something.

To draw on a real world example of what I mean: A few years ago I worked for a short time with an instructor who had crossed over from the NOB (Dutch CMAS variant) to PADI. To be clear, this is NOT the instructor I was talking about at the top of this post. Anyway, the instructor in question was accustomed to taking anywhere between 6 and 12 months to certify an open water student. I'm not sure how many hours exactly he spent on the course but I believe it was upwards of 100 hours and probably more if the student showed below average aptitude. In our protocol we spent about 30 hours on the course, which was the PADI recommendation.

On a particular day we were scheduled to take a group of 4 students with the two of us. We agreed to split them up in pairs and each take a pair. I don't recall if it was module 2 or module 3. The pool doors opened 1/2 hour before we were allowed to get in the water (had to wait for swimmers to exit) and we had 75 minutes maximum of useful pool time. In the 1/2 hour before we were allowed to get in the water, I had my pair of divers get changed, set up their gear and do the pre-dive buddy check so that as soon as the last swimmer was out of the water we splashed down.

My colleague splashed down with his students 28 minutes later. I know for sure. I timed it.

After the fact I asked him what the problem was (I naturally assumed there was a problem). He said that there was no problem but it took him that long to go through the buddy check and the steps for the deep-water entry with his students. In other words, from the time we entered the pool it took him nearly an hour to set up the gear, do a buddy check and a deep water entry with two people of normal aptitude.

When I suggested to him that the were more efficient ways to get that done he got defensive and said, "there's no way your students know how to do a buddy check. You just glossed over it." My response was to call one of my students over and ask them to run through a mock buddy check with my colleague, naming all the steps and the reasons for the steps, which he did.

His students could do that too, but it took them 5 times longer to learn it.

Why? Because he was used to having 5 times longer to teach it and he never had to learn how to get it across to students in less time.

And that's the problem I have with the blanket statement that "more time = more learning". Because it's ... simply ... not ... true. At least not all of the time.

The problem I have with playing the "efficiency" card is that it's too easy to fall into the trap of cutting corners. You can get BIG returns from focusing on efficiency, as John's example illustrates, but in my experience "efficiency" is too often used as a euphemism for "hurrying", which brings this post full circle. The instructor I alluded to above is a person who thinks of himself as highly efficient while when I look at him, what I see is someone who equates "demonstration" to "mastery" and pushes his students to an uncomfortably high tempo that leaves them (in my opinion) nearly unable to fully grasp and/or absorb what they're being "taught".

So yeah what I see here are two people (Wayne and Pete) locking horns over the issue of "time" and they both have very good points but are both arguing positions that (when taken to an extreme) don't make sense. What's really needed is efficient instructors taking as much "time" as the student needs (lo and behold this is what standards dictate) but in practice the idea of "performance based learning" is often undermined by a weird obsession with "time"--either too much or too little, but in both cases not what the student's needs necessarily dictate.

R..

As I also said above, research indicates that the number one factor by far differentiating top performing teachers from bottom performing teachers is a belief in what we call efficacy. The top performing teachers believe in overwhelming numbers that they and their ability to adapt instruction are the most important factors in student success. The bottom performing teacehrs believe student ability is the primary factor, and there is little to nothing they can do to change that.

In other words, good teachers take RESPONSIBILITY for their teaching. Bad ones, attribute any ineptitude to their students.

In the case of scuba instruction, I don't think weak instructors blame their students for course shortcomings quite so much. They typically blame "the market", or the pressures and deadlines imposed by the shop they teach through, or allowable pool time, or student request for the bare bones, or some other factor like when the student was flying out to the tropical destination open water referrals.

In all these cases, the weak instructors are not accepting responsibility for the product of their instruction.

Most all of you found the path to become outstanding divers. So will the motivated new diver behind you...

In other words, good teachers take RESPONSIBILITY for their teaching. Bad ones, attribute any ineptitude to their students.

In the case of scuba instruction, I don't think weak instructors blame their students for course shortcomings quite so much. They typically blame "the market", or the pressures and deadlines imposed by the shop they teach through, or allowable pool time, or student request for the bare bones, or some other factor like when the student was flying out to the tropical destination open water referrals.

In all these cases, the weak instructors are not accepting responsibility for the product of their instruction.

I agree with what you wrote, but my use of the phrase "short course" was different from yours. I was not referring to a course that is inadequate in length to get the job done for whatever might be the reason. I am talking about a short course in the sense that is being used in this thread--in contrast to a much longer course. In the sense I meant it, the instructor is teaching a class that while shorter than the kind of course being promoted by DCBC and Thalassamania, is still long enough to graduate safe and effective divers at the OW level.

To carry the point to a ridiculous absurdity, it can be argued that a course that requires students to spend 100 hours in the classroom, 200 hours in the pool, and 300 hours in open water instruction will produce outstanding OW divers. Yes, it will. In that case, though, I think even Thalassamania would argue that his "shorter course" (100 hours) is long enough.

Similarly, Thalassamania's students leave his OW certification able to tie a bowline underwater with one hand while wearing 3-finger mittens or dry gloves. That's impressive, and it shows the amount of learning in the course. Now, in all my dives, I am not sure I have ever seen anyone tie any knot under water, except in a class that required them to tie a knot under water. I have certainly never been in a situation where it was necessary to tie a bowline with one hand--I even have trouble imagining what that situation would be. I also doubt that more then a couple percent of my students will ever see a 3-fingered mitten or dry glove, let alone wear one while tying a bowline with one hand. That's another skill I think can wait until later in their education.

I learned that skill! I learned it in the S&R specialty that I took as part of my AOW course in 1985. We had to tie off a metal beam one handed in a complete silt-out (instructor fanning the bottom) with 3 fingers mittens on and then lift the beam to the surface using two independently operated lift bags with no chance of communication from one end of the beam to the other because of the visibility issue.

It's the only time under water that I've ever engaged in such insanity. If I ever needed to lift a metal beam of that size again, I'd do it properly! :D

R..

yep, we have gotten to :deadhorse:. Time to :nuke:this one....:ss:.

As a student, I want to learn as much as I can, but I also want to dive as soon as I can. I will practice all the skills as often as I can, but I want to dive. Even though I strive to be a good diver and insist on being a good buddy, I would not choose the long in depth difficult class for RECREATIONAL diving. My original certification was over 14 weeks, when I was in college. I could never imagine devoting that much time now. If it were the only option, I would not have started again. I can't even guarantee I will be available in 4 weeks..I may have to travel for my job at a moments notice.

I've enjoyed the discussion and I thank all of you for your insight. I wish I could bring more to the table, but for me, this horse is dead and I haven't seen much evidence that anyone has been swayed one way or the other. One could have pretty much predicted where the discussion would go but I am pleased that it all stayed cordial.... Gotta go read a manual or something more productive.

As a student, I want to learn as much as I can, but I also want to dive as soon as I can.

A truer word....

I've enjoyed the discussion and I thank all of you for your insight. I wish I could bring more to the table, but for me, this horse is dead and I haven't seen much evidence that anyone has been swayed one way or the other.

LOL :) This is Scubaboard. You'd have more luck changing the orbit of the earth by gluing butterflies to a string and flying them like a kite than you will ever have getting people to give -- even a little bit -- on issues like this.

Opinions do change but it takes time. The truth is that old dogs don't change easily, even with young pups nipping at their heels. :)

R..

I'm sure I know at least one instructor who, if he doubled or quadrupled the amount of time he spent on students. would produce exactly the same results. The only different would be that the student would have paid double or quadruple the amount of money to reach the same level (or lack thereof) of competence.

Surely there has to be a happy medium. I think we can agree that classes that are too fast are crap. That should make Wayne happy to hear but on the same token, classes that are too drawn out do not force the instructor to improve his/her efficiency either because, quite frankly, there is no reason to be efficient if you can spend all the time in the world on something.

To draw on a real world example of what I mean: A few years ago I worked for a short time with an instructor who had crossed over from the NOB (Dutch CMAS variant) to PADI. To be clear, this is NOT the instructor I was talking about at the top of this post. Anyway, the instructor in question was accustomed to taking anywhere between 6 and 12 months to certify an open water student. I'm not sure how many hours exactly he spent on the course but I believe it was upwards of 100 hours and probably more if the student showed below average aptitude. In our protocol we spent about 30 hours on the course, which was the PADI recommendation.

On a particular day we were scheduled to take a group of 4 students with the two of us. We agreed to split them up in pairs and each take a pair. I don't recall if it was module 2 or module 3. The pool doors opened 1/2 hour before we were allowed to get in the water (had to wait for swimmers to exit) and we had 75 minutes maximum of useful pool time. In the 1/2 hour before we were allowed to get in the water, I had my pair of divers get changed, set up their gear and do the pre-dive buddy check so that as soon as the last swimmer was out of the water we splashed down.

My colleague splashed down with his students 28 minutes later. I know for sure. I timed it.

After the fact I asked him what the problem was (I naturally assumed there was a problem). He said that there was no problem but it took him that long to go through the buddy check and the steps for the deep-water entry with his students. In other words, from the time we entered the pool it took him nearly an hour to set up the gear, do a buddy check and a deep water entry with two people of normal aptitude.

When I suggested to him that the were more efficient ways to get that done he got defensive and said, "there's no way your students know how to do a buddy check. You just glossed over it." My response was to call one of my students over and ask them to run through a mock buddy check with my colleague, naming all the steps and the reasons for the steps, which he did.

His students could do that too, but it took them 5 times longer to learn it.

Why? Because he was used to having 5 times longer to teach it and he never had to learn how to get it across to students in less time.

And that's the problem I have with the blanket statement that "more time = more learning". Because it's ... simply ... not ... true. At least not all of the time.

The problem I have with playing the "efficiency" card is that it's too easy to fall into the trap of cutting corners. You can get BIG returns from focusing on efficiency, as John's example illustrates, but in my experience "efficiency" is too often used as a euphemism for "hurrying", which brings this post full circle. The instructor I alluded to above is a person who thinks of himself as highly efficient while when I look at him, what I see is someone who equates "demonstration" to "mastery" and pushes his students to an uncomfortably high tempo that leaves them (in my opinion) nearly unable to fully grasp and/or absorb what they're being "taught".

So yeah what I see here are two people (Wayne and Pete) locking horns over the issue of "time" and they both have very good points but are both arguing positions that (when taken to an extreme) don't make sense. What's really needed is efficient instructors taking as much "time" as the student needs (lo and behold this is what standards dictate) but in practice the idea of "performance based learning" is often undermined by a weird obsession with "time"--either too much or too little, but in both cases not what the student's needs necessarily dictate.

R..

I dfiscontinued teaching as a PADI Instructor a long time ago but... I have to agree about efficiency.

I always felt that the recommended way to teach the skills in the specified sequence and following the way I was taught in my IDC was EXTREMELY efficient. It worked GREAT! I was often amazed at what a good instructor I was (I mean how good my students were) LOL.

I also thought the course was too easy and too abbreviated, but if I did what PADI said... all my students learned very fast and pretty darn well. I had a few students that were lagging and they made the decision, (not me) to not show up for the open water dives and drop out.

The PADI method I learned was extremely efficient. Never the less, I STRONGLY encouraged all my students to immediately sign up for AOW, or at a minimum try to go diving for the next several weekends to further reinforce the skills they learned.

My point on that is that in some areas some skills are more inmportant than others. If you need to not touch coral then an emphasis on bouyancy is much more significant than non-silting is. silting in a quary is doing no damage, relativly speeking, and you fix it by going shallow and let the silt settle. Enevtually you learn not to silt by improvement to bouyacy skills and better finning skills, and that all you failures is a no foul. As an OW silting is not a biggy. Not so for penatration divng. Contrary to coral damage if it takes 10 dives to get good bouyancy and fix the problems ouu leave behind you 10 unrepairable coral damage failures. There is a difference to me between in inconvienience and necessity. siltting in a quary is an inconvienience. not damaging coral is a necessity. My quarrys are not sediment free and that is where i go to practice bouyancy and frog kick at 6" off the bottom. I am still not perfect everytime and probably never will be however I seldom have to touch to stableize. Every aspect has a priority. The priorities are sometimes different for different sites.

I guess your quarries are sediment free.... must be nice....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom