Is training needed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see a problem with it. You may have trouble getting tank fills. Also you may have trouble finding people to dive with you - I would not dive with a new diver who was not certified - too much liability.

However, I had a friend I dove with for years (on his boat) and we often went well past the recreational limits. Then one day he says, hey you know any instructors? I want to get certified so I can dive on vacation.

The issue of certification never came up until then. LOL
Appreciate the feedback, I have one diving buddy but we both work alot so the stars don't always align for us. and luckily my LDS does fills for me. I also try to be very cautious for my dives and take it slow, as well as dive the plan I make, so far only been to 80ft and haven't done anything over NDL's .

Without it, you'll be limited to shore dives as commercial boat operators require a certification. The certification should be easy if your self assessment is accurate.
Appreciate the feedback this does seem to be the prevailing reason to get the cert, just having easy access to the greater dive industry might be worth it alone.

Appreciate the feedback this does seem to be the prevailing reason to get the cert, just having easy access to the greater dive industry might be worth it alone.
You can learn a tremendous amount from diving with highly skilled divers. Classes may or may not be of much value, but I doubt you will find good mentors unless you at a minimum have the basic certification.

The certification course should be simple and trivial for you and not take much time. Unless you have serious financial limitations, then take the stupid freaking course and go diving.

Lastly, if you think you know what's up and are pretty good at diving after 5-10 dives, you are dreadfully mistaken. Scuba diving in easy conditions and when all the gear works is pretty damn simple if you are smart, strong and are comfortable in the water. It is going to take time (and maybe training or mentorship) and a few close calls and mishaps before you begin to realize that diving is not really all that safe - especially when things don't go as planned.

I picked up Deco for divers by mark powell and read it. I have a pretty good handle on the info and I have an Air integrated computer so the thought of going into deco doesn't scare me.
Open to all feedback please let me know.
Just the fact that you see some connection between air integration and incurring a decompression obligation should answer your question. OTOH, it's possible that training won't do you any good at all and you should find a different hobby.

Appreciate the feedback, I have one diving buddy but we both work alot so the stars don't always align for us. and luckily my LDS does fills for me. I also try to be very cautious for my dives and take it slow, as well as dive the plan I make, so far only been to 80ft and haven't done anything over NDL's .
You're in FL... Feel like naming the shop so I know NOT to use them as that means they just don't care about liability unless you're getting tanks filled under false pretenses.

not kidding
No more pencils, no more books
No more teachers, dirty looks
Out for summer, out 'til fall
We might not come back at all

School's out for summer!

Chorus repeats

pls do us all a favor and provide the name of the dive shop that is providing fills for you. that way we can report it to whichever agency or agencies they teach for.
i wonder how their insurance company would fell about this. oy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom