Is training needed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
pls do us all a favor and provide the name of the dive shop that is providing fills for you. that way we can report it to whichever agency or agencies they teach for.
i wonder how their insurance company would fell about this. oy.
Why? Shops or boats rarely ask for cards over the pond. No scuba police and all.

#Darwin

Looks like LD has a new login.
My thoughts exactly upon reading the title of the thread.

Now, just to give the poster the benefit of the doubt by assuming this is a genuine question, here are my thoughts on it.

Certification is required to dive with many (most/all?) dive operators. Most (apparently not all) dive shops will require certifications to get fills. I will say that I've gotten fills before from dive shops that didn't ask for my cert. Some knew me, others didn't. So, if diving private boats, etc. then certification may not be required.

Training, however, is a real good idea. Yes, it is possible to be self taught. It's possible to have a real good grasp of the principles of diving without professional training. Based on some of the concepts mentioned by the OP, I don't think that's the case here. There is value in having a good instructor providing instruction and critique.

I'm currently very new to diving (5 dives solo so far), but I've done lots of studying on the topic of safe diving. It seems every video I watch/literature I read seems to beat the same things into my head over and over, mask clearing, understanding dive tables, boyles law, clearing 2nd stage, etc.

My question what is getting an OW cert going to do for me? I already own my own kit and get tanks filled so I don't really need to rent stuff. I just struggle to find the value of getting the cert when all the information is available online.

I picked up Deco for divers by mark powell and read it. I have a pretty good handle on the info and I have an Air integrated computer so the thought of going into deco doesn't scare me.

Open to all feedback please let me know.
I'm currently very new to diving (5 dives solo so far), but I've done lots of studying on the topic of safe diving. It seems every video I watch/literature I read seems to beat the same things into my head over and over, mask clearing, understanding dive tables, boyles law, clearing 2nd stage, etc.

My question what is getting an OW cert going to do for me? I already own my own kit and get tanks filled so I don't really need to rent stuff. I just struggle to find the value of getting the cert when all the information is available online.

I picked up Deco for divers by mark powell and read it. I have a pretty good handle on the info and I have an Air integrated computer so the thought of going into deco doesn't scare me.

Open to all feedback please let me know.

Ahh i did the same ! i dream of flying on an airplane so i check couple of video on you tube and train on flight simulator.

I could say i am a very good pilot now. What could go wrong ?

Only training can turn your knowledge into experience
That means that the number of dives, the hours under water and the various conditions, is what you need.
and yes, Put Another Dollar In (PADI) is what you have to do sometimes. Doesn´t mean that you have to go with all the silly specialties.

I also try to be very cautious for my dives and take it slow, as well as dive the plan I make, so far only been to 80ft and haven't done anything over NDL's .

Your professed caution above doesn’t comport with your willingess to “skip” formal training because you perceive it to be unnecessary or burdensome.

“So far only been to 80ft…”

Yes, so far. Your casual attitude about training will have you rationalizing your way past that in no time.

Again, you have a high likelihood of being a dive casualty.

Lastly, I concur with others - what LDS are you using here in Florida? I don’t want to give them my business because they’re unacceptably sloppy and I don’t want to expose myself go uncalculated risks.

LOL. everyone wants the guy to taddle on a dive shop! They just want to backstab the OP, to ensure he never gets another fill, I guess?

I bet these are the same people who will rat out the neighborhood kid who cuts grass for cash? Hello.... IRS?

Yeah...I bet if we try real hard, we can come up with actual reasons why getting certified is a good idea without going full Karen on some dive shop.

And if we can't...then maybe OP isn't so wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom