Dive trip with three... what's the "buddy" rule?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had a townhouse just north of Boynton Beach, FL since 2011. None of the operators in Boynton Beach put a guide in the water. Each diver or group carries a dive flag. Most of my diving is solo. However, I will take a diver, or two, or three, especially if they are new to the area or could otherwise use help in initially navigating the reef. I am generally a pretty slow, steady diver, easy to stay with. If the current is brisk, it is sometimes a bit more challenging. The rules are simple, I have the flag, stay with me. This works out very well. If the divers with me run low on air prior to the general one hour run time. they let me know and ascend on the flag to be picked up. Occasionally, when a diver does not seem confident, I will ascend with them, do the SS, and make sure they surface for pick up before continuing my own dive. Many of the divers I take with me quickly become competent to dive by themselves.

I once took a young couple who had only done about 10 dives. I've told this story before. The wife had a lot of problems on the first dive. She was too light and couldn't descend, I got her extra weights. We descended and she lost an unsecured weight pocket, I retrieved the weight and caught her on the way up. By this time we were far off the reef and had a swim back to it. Then her tank came out of her BC and I replaced it. The rest of the dive was uneventful as was the second dive. The next day, I was diving by myself. A group of 4 went by from another boar and the husband was carrying the flag. The wife gave me a big OK before we went our separate ways. Back at the dock, they thanked be for helping with their orientation the day before. Sometimes, it is really worth it :)
That's really nice. I have had many similar experiences living here in South Florida, often diving solo and getting paired up with divers or groups that don't have a lot of experience or are on their once-a-year "tourist dive". When I was younger, these types of situations used to annoy me, but these days, I'm just happy to be underwater and enjoy helping others, so I figure it just comes with the territory of living where we live.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom