Diver drowns on Dive Boat Karen, Brooklyn, NY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very hard to read a thread such as this. My condolences to the family of the deceased.

It is distressing to see posts that often are obviously just quickly typed speculation. It is quite instructive to see well thought out discussion about the incident and possible contributing factors. I only wish there were more of the well thought out kind when these threads come up.

I often dive with my twin brother and have certainly considered how difficult it would be to get separated from him in adverse conditions. One of the main reasons I continue my training. I want to be as proficient and well-trained as I might be everytime I get in the water.

I am new to diving, but read as much as I can and dive as much as I can with experienced divers. One of the things that struck me early on was how many dive fatalities are witnessed on the surface either before or after the dive. I believe last years DAN report showed about 1/3 of the fatalities fit this catagory. Almost all of the documented cases would have been much different had the diver dropped weight.

Willie

I just received an email from a crew member who has been trying to register onto SB but like the victim's cousin, has been unable to do so. I'll try to assist him in troubleshooting this problem so he may come onboard to post first hand information.

This forum does not exist so that can judge right or wrong in discussing these accidents and possible mistakes, of course - but so that we can learn survival skills from the misfortune of others. I am reminded here of a few that I try to keep in mind and encourage to my buddies:
>> Stay together; if separated - search for one minute only before surfacing to re-pair.
>> When difficulties arise, get positive. I ascend with my BC inflate/deflate hose in hand so that I can dump expanding air as needed on ascent, then immediately inflate on the surface.
>> Keep reg in mouth and mask on face on the surface at least until the BC is inflated for good flotation.
>> If for any reason I cannot inflate the BC on surface from my tank, do so orally - which means giving up the reg sooner than desired, better not be overweighted. (Had to do this once after a problem, open water ascent from a deep wreck off of NC.)
>> Dump weights quickly if needed to stay on surface - while it's instinct to simply fight buoyancy problems, which could encourage panic.

I was responsible for my own brother's life & well being countless times working on the farm & cattle operation, as well as that of my dad's, uncle's, nephew's, etc, and they were mine, but that was day to day stuff for us. My brother quit diving before we could ever buddy up, but I can see where that responsibility would have been more intense, a loss while on a dive more upsetting. My continued condolences to the victim's loved ones.

My best friend travels as a vacation diver with me about once a year, and I am always a lot more protective of him that in normal situations; I'd have to face his sainted mother if something happened to him. Again, if we had a car wreck, it'd be one of those things, but diving - we are trained to take care of each other. Seems more intense to me anyway. We practice in a New Mexico spring every other month trying to keep our survival buddy skills honed, and next time - we're including these I listed above.

Body found in water off Long Beach

FROM STAFF REPORTS

September 19, 2006, 6:55 AM EDT

A man's body was discovered in the water south of Long Beach Monday morning, police said.

The Nassau County Police Department Marine Bureau said they responded to a call at 8:10 a.m. that a private fishing boat had seen a body floating approximately 1.5 miles south of Long Beach.

The body of an unidentified male wearing a black wet suit and diving gear was recovered, police said. The body was taken to the Nassau County Medical Examiner's Office for further investigation.

Homicide detectives said they are in contact with the New York Police Department regarding their investigation of a diving reported missing on September 10.
Copyright 2006 Newsday Inc.

Considering the history of this thread, this would be a good time to close it.

Again, my condolences to the family.

mislav:

Again, my condolences to the family.

I second that motion.

Been going through this thread to gather more information as to what happened.
With the exception of about 5 posts, it has been nothing but BS, speculation and "shudda, wouldda, coudda"

A crew member from the boat is attempting to register and post, had problems with registration, emailed me. Still trying to get him/her registered.

I think accident analysis is a good thing if you have facts. Unfortunately, most diving accidents are caused by diver error or health problems. Ascending and descending in buddy pairs is safer. If you fail to do so, you are effectively diving solo and assume the risks of a solo diver.

Before this thread is closed I would like to offer my condolences to the family. I also would like to know if the boat had a trail line out and if so, how long?

Body found in water off Long Beach
FROM STAFF REPORTS
Newsday.com
September 19, 2006, 6:55 AM EDT

A man's body was discovered in the water south of Long Beach Monday
morning, police said.

The Nassau County Police Department Marine Bureau said they responded to a
call at 8:10 a.m. that a private fishing boat had seen a body floating
approximately 1.5 miles south of Long Beach.

The body of an unidentified male wearing a black wet suit and diving gear
was recovered, police said. The body was taken to the Nassau County Medical
Examiner's Office for further investigation.

Homicide detectives said they are in contact with the New York Police
Department regarding their investigation of a diving reported missing on
September 10.

---------------------------------------------

R.I.P.

I received an email from the family member with whom I haven been in touch as mentioned earlier. The discovered diver's body was identified as the victim in question here, a service was held locally, and he is being shipped home to tomorrow night. I really didn't think he would ever be found, and I am glad that I was wrong as this may help with the family's mourning, and possibly survivor benefit claims.

It's sad to read about any loss, but even more so when becoming acquainted with a family member. My extended condolences...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom